Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kris bryant Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 06:33 PM
    Childsupport &signing father's rights away
    My daughter is due to have a babygirl soon and the father which she is not married to wants to sign off his rights to my granddaughter so he don't have to pay childsupport.we live in Illinois . He also has another daughter which is 3 she belongs to another woman .second question his grandparents pay's his childsupport because he won't hold a job long enough can we go after grandparents for support he is 27 years our daughter is 20 years old we need help ty ahead of time kris soon- to-be grandma
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 2, 2010, 06:36 PM

First, there is a sticky note at the top of this forum that answers your question about signing over rights. Can't be done.

And no, you cannot go after the grandparents as they have no responsiibilty.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 06:39 PM

The child support order belongs to him and him alone. The parent getting it from the grandparents should consider themselves lucky. If the grandparents want to help out that's great but they shouldn't be paying it on his behalf. That way he will learn his lesson the hard way.

Jun 2, 2010, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, there is a sticky note at the top of this forum that answers your question about signing over rights. Can't be done.

And no, you cannot go after the grandparents as they have no responsiibilty.
    I understand but can he try to sign off his rightes to just get out of paying childsupport

Jun 2, 2010, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    The child support order belongs to him and him alone. The parent getting it from the grandparents should consider themselves lucky. If the grandparents want to help out thats great but they shouldnt be paying it on his behalf. That way he will learn his lesson the hard way.
    His granparents support him .we need to know if he signs off his rights to my grandaughter will he still have to pay childsupport ty for your help
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kris bryant View Post
    i understand but can he try to sign off his rightes to just get out of paying childsupport
    No !

Jun 2, 2010, 06:58 PM
    i understand but can he try to sign off his rightes to just get out of paying childsupport
    No, you don't understand. If you had bothered to read the sticky note I referred to you would know that answer. Please go and read it.

Jun 2, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    No !
    Ty we need to know he is an abusive person and we want to protect or grandaughter and make sure he learns his lesson and is made to pay so I'm sure our daughter will get him to sign off his rights to protect Madison when she is born due date is July 5th ty for your help
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 07:04 PM

No, he can not just sign over his rights, there would not be 1000's of men sitting in jail tonight for non payment, or 10's of thousands with no drivers license, if it was that easy.

He may try many things, refuse to show up in court, hide from legal service, And of course if he does not work the amount of child support order may be so small it is silly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 07:05 PM
    ty we need to know he is an abusive person and we want to protect or grandaughter and make sure he learns his lesson and is made to pay so im sure our daughter will get him to sign off his rights to protect Madison when she is born due date is july 5th ty for your help

OK, one more time, real slowly, NO, NO and NO, he can not just sign over his rights, if he is "dangerous" then when he asks for court ordered visits, you prove in court he is a danger and fight his rights to any visits.

Child support is not a punishment, it is set according to his income

Jun 2, 2010, 07:06 PM
    No, you don't understand. If you had bothered to read the sticky note I referred to you would know that answer. Please go and read it.
    I tried to find it no need for an attitude just trying to help my grandaughter be protected ty

Jun 2, 2010, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    No, he can not just sign over his rights, there would not be 1000's of men sitting in jail tonight for non payment, or 10's of thousands with no drivers license, if it was that easy.

He may try many things, refuse to show up in court, hide from legal service, And of course if he does not work the amount of child support order may be so small it is silly.
    Ty for you help we are just making sure ty again

Jun 2, 2010, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    OK, one more time, real slowly, NO, NO and NO, he can not just sign over his rights, if he is "dangerous" then when he asks for court ordered visits, you prove in court he is a danger and fight his rights to any visits.

Child support is not a punishment, it is set according to his income
    I know I am a mother of 2 grown children not a child so really slowly understand what I am going to type I'm ill and am trying to help my daughter who is scared before I am unable OK ty for more stress

Jun 2, 2010, 07:18 PM
    i tryed to find it no need for an attitude just trying to help my grandaughter be protected ty
    All you needed to do was click on the Family Law forum link at the of your question. But here is a link for you:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-116098.html

You keep asking the same question but ignore the answers. Only a court can terminate parental rights, you can't take them away abd he can't sign them away.

Jun 2, 2010, 07:25 PM
    All you needed to do was click on the Family Law forum link at the of your question. But here is a link for you:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-116098.html

You keep asking the same question but ignore the answers. Only a court can terminate parental rights, you can't take them away abd he can't sign them away.
    Ty I did and it says it depends on the areas laws but thank you

Jun 2, 2010, 07:26 PM
    ty i did and it says it depends on the areas laws but thankyou
    Also he wants to sign off his rights we didn't ask him .:eek:
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 07:34 PM

Well, goody for him.

The courts won't LET him sign away his rights unless there is a stepfather ready to adopt.

And if he thinks he can sign away his rights to get out of child support--well, he's pretty dumb, then.

Your daughter needs to go to court AFTER the child is born and get full physical and legal custody. She also files for child support at that time.

He then has to go to court HIMSELF to fight for visitation.

If you could force someone to give up their rights, believe me, there are plenty of welfare mommies that wouldn't have their rights anymore---so that those kids could be adopted by people who could afford them. THAT is why it is hard to take away parental rights---so that it can't be done easily to those who would have a hard time fighting it.

And giving them up voluntarily--even if he COULD present a case to do so, parental rights and parental responsibility are two different things--and he'd find himself paying for his responsibility with no right to any say in the child's life. Betcha he stops talking about signing away rights the second he finds out that it doesn't get him out of child support.

Jun 2, 2010, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Well, goody for him.

The courts won't LET him sign away his rights unless there is a stepfather ready to adopt.

And if he thinks he can sign away his rights to get out of child support--well, he's pretty dumb, then.

Your daughter needs to go to court AFTER the child is born and get full physical and legal custody. She also files for child support at that time.

He then has to go to court HIMSELF to fight for visitation.

If you could force someone to give up their rights, believe me, there are plenty of welfare mommies that wouldn't have their rights anymore---so that those kids could be adopted by people who could afford them. THAT is why it is hard to take away parental rights---so that it can't be done easily to those who would have a hard time fighting it.

And giving them up voluntarily--even if he COULD present a case to do so, parental rights and parental responsibility are two different things--and he'd find himself paying for his responsibility with no right to any say in the child's life. Betcha he stops talking about signing away rights the second he finds out that it doesn't get him out of child support.
    Ty very much for your help we will make sure the minute we can get to court we will ty for your help we are glad there is people out there like u to help ty again kris

Jun 3, 2010, 04:02 AM
    ty i did and it says it depends on the areas laws but thankyou
    No it did not say that. You really need to read your answers carefully. What it said was that only a court can terminate rights, a person cannot volunteer to terminate rights, nor can the other parent terminate them. Generally courts will only terminate rights to clear the way for an adoption or if a parent can be proven to be a danger to the child. What varies is, if a court does terminate rights, whether responsibilities are also terminated. But it also says that a court will NEVER terminate rights just to allow a parent out of paying support. So in those states where both rights and responsibilities are terminated its even harder to get a TPR.

Bottom line is that his rights will not be terminated as everyone has told you. Unless you can prove that he is a danger to the child, which is very difficult. And his obligation to pay support will not be terminated, even if it means not terminating his rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights of the father after signing over rights in adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My son is nineteen he and his girlfriend hide her pregnancy for six months, during that time they met a couple and decided to put the baby up for adoption. After we found out about the baby they told us that they had started the process of adoption. My son said he had signed over his parental...

Ohio childsupport laws on given up rights [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out that a girl I went to high school with back in 1997, is claiming that I am the father of her 12 or 13yr old son. I wanted to know if I would have to pay back childsupport.

Giving up parental rights to stop paying childsupport [ 9 Answers ]

I was with my ex in Ohio for 11 yrs. I had 5 kids with him I left to California with a restrainig order with the children in December of last year. I have been here for more than 6 months he said he wants to give up parental rights so he doesn't have to pay childsupport? He said Ohio law allows for...

Signing over rights & ending child support [ 15 Answers ]

I am a single mom, living in Indiana. I have an 8 year old daughter. Her biological father has not seen her since she was 1. After her birth, he requested a paternity test & was then ordered to pay child support. He has not paid for almost 6 years, but he also has not seen her, so I don't...

View more questions Search