Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    durbanco Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Water leaking behind shower wall
    Water is leaking to floor beneath upstairs shower below tub only when shower is in use. Diverter is not working properly. Removed diverter stem, can't really see any water damage around plumbing stems. Is it possible this bad diverter or stem can leak water inside wall as it is only when shower is in use? Thanks for any help
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 07:16 PM

The mixing valve, diverter, pipe up to the shower arm can all leak like you describe. Start by removing the handle and the escutcheon plate so you can get a better look. Ypou may need a small mirror to look up along the pipe to the shower arm. Watch for traces of crusty water deposits.
    durbanco Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 08:21 AM

Thanks for your response ballengerb1. I've got the diverter stem out which is from an eljer three stem system from the 60's. I noticed the cover for what I believe is called the trip lever drain system in the tub is a different brand. Perhaps this cover and gasket that looked suspiciously worn, wet, and not properly fit, could be leaking water behind the tub. Between the leaky diverter running water near or over it and the stream of a couple showers, I hope trying to replace and see if this works. We just bought house that was built in 1968 and are discovering all these wonderful plumbing issues.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 08:25 AM

I would suggest replacing the entire valve if you have the skillls to solder

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My shower is leaking inside the wall after fixing the shower head. [ 3 Answers ]

After fixing the shower head I now found that my shower is spraying water inside the wall. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be GREATLY appreciated

Corner Shower is leaking through wall. [ 7 Answers ]

Last night I discovered that my carpet was wet and starting to mold in the corner of my downstairs living room. In the same corner on the opposite side of the wall is my corner shower. I live in an older split foyer home. I'm thinking the leak is coming from the shower somehow, but I've...

Leaking plumbing somewhere behind shower wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first question on here.. I have two bathrooms up stairs and one is leaking so that I can see the water stain downstairs on the ceiling. There's also a seems like some water damage beside the tub wall possibly behind the wall below the faucet level. I was wondering what should...

Water Leaking through the Shower Tile Wall [ 1 Answers ]

I take a shower and when the shower dry's I see some water leaking at the bottom where it comes through the wall into the shower at floor. After I saw that I went back and added more teflon tape for the shower faucets and new rubber and new monel seats. I still see a little water draining out the...

Fix water leaking through tile on shower wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower where water is leaking through the tiles on the wall, leaving puddles on the floor. There are visibile gaps from where the tile shrunk along the lowest row of tiles right above the bathtub. Do I need to remove the tile and then recaulk, or simply recaulk where there are visible...

View more questions Search