Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicole12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2010, 05:40 AM
    100 amp service to my pole barn
    I am installing a 100 amp service in my pole barn. It is 250 feet from the house panel. What size wire and conduit do I need to bury for that distance?
    Thank you
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 29, 2010, 05:51 AM
    I would recommend using #4/0 aluminum 4 wire URD cable, which is a widely used and available product. This is rated to be direct buried, but sleeve it with 3 " PVC conduit in rocky soil and/or under truck traffic, or the entire length for extra protection and ease of changing it in the future if necessary.

Special attention will be needed at both ends as the terminals of 100 Amp breakers and terminals of 100 amp panelboards will not accept a wire this size. Simplest method would be to change over to #2 aluminum in a junction box close to both ends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service entrance cable size for 100 amp and 200 amp service. [ 16 Answers ]

I would like to know what size aluminum sec I would need for 100 or 200 amp service

How much does it cost to change 100 amp service to 200 amp service? [ 5 Answers ]

I am buying a house with 100amp service and the home inspecter said I would need at least 150 amp panel to service the hot tub that comes with the home. However, the hot tub is hooked up to the 100amp service panel and the hot tub works fine. Am I really running into any issues here if I do...

What size wire for 220v 100 amp service at 100 feet [ 7 Answers ]

I am running 220v 100 ft to a 125 amp sub panel. A welder would be the heaviest thing used. (around 200 amp welder) what size copper wire would I need running in pvc underground

100 amp service split into two 100 amp sub panels? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! I am in the early planning phase of a project to add a 100 amp sub panel to my detached garage. This new sub panel in the garage will be used to charge electric vehicles. The current and only sub panel is installed in the kitchen and is directly wired to the 100 amp service box breaker...

Service entrance cable (alum) size for a 100 amp service at 186 feet for a garage [ 1 Answers ]

The garage is 186' from the service at the house. I wanted to make sure the voltage drop would not cause a problem.

View more questions Search