Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BabiixG Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

May 26, 2010, 07:43 PM
    Can they sue us?
    My son was at his dad's house playing outside with his toys. He was playing with his plastic tool set. (plastic hammer , screw drivers etc... ). A 5 year old kid came and was trying to take my sons toys away from him so my son hit him in the face with the toy. The kid was bleeding. I wasn' t there I'm just going by what his dad told me. I feel really bad if I was there I would have disciplined him, but his dad didn't. The kid's parents are saying they are going to sue. Can they? My son is 2 by the way. I told his dad he should have disciplined him and tell him that it's wrong to hit. Or better yet tell him to share his toys before it even happened. I know my son is only 2 but his dad was being irresponsible. As far as I know the kid didn't have to be hospitalized or anything I think he had a bloody lip.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2010, 08:03 PM

Of course they can try to sue, anyone can sue anyone,

But then you can threaten to countersue for the other child's trespass on property to come and try and take toys.
    In assult first since I assume the older kid grabbed trying to take toys.

Things happen before we can act, and having a child merely give his toys away to a older kid is not always the right thing, I was not there but giving into a bully ( if this was) may be wrong too.

May 26, 2010, 08:08 PM

Yea I know they are young kids I don't think they were tresspassing though because it's a 3 family house I think they live upstairs.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 26, 2010, 08:11 PM
    No matter, anyone can sue for anything. However, it's going to cost them more to sue than what it's worth. There were no permanent damages, and any lawyer would be a fool to sue over this.

May 26, 2010, 08:23 PM

Yea thanks I'm sure they only said it because they were upset
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 27, 2010, 09:19 AM
    Nothing will come of this.

But in the very off-chance that they do sue, your son's dad should turn it over to his homeowner's insurance company.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2010, 09:31 AM

You will likely be just fine. When folks sue they must sue for damages and I don't read that there are any damages. A common misconception is to sue for pain and suffering, that doesn't work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do with out having to sue [ 1 Answers ]

I am canadian. An ex business partner owes me a significant sum of money from the sale of my share of the business to him. A payment date was set at Dec 31 2008 in a prommissary note drawn up by a Lawyer. As yet I have not been paid. I have demanded payment from him by April 30 he has assured me...

To sue or not to sue [ 13 Answers ]

I was in an auto accident where I was hit,the other partys insurance has denied the claim.stating that I am more than 50%at fault.but if you see where and how I wa... you can totally see who was at fault.. I have hired a traffic lawyer because the officer gave 2 "careless driving" tickets to both...

Should I sue ? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I do not think this is my topic but I've done business with Guaranteed Consumer Funding for about one year now I paid about over $700. Into this computer and never received it they told me to make 3 bi weekly payments and I'll receive my computer in three weeks that never happen.They...

Can I sue? [ 3 Answers ]

The wife of my friend found some nude pictures of me in his e-mail inbox. She has since ruined my relationship and is threatening to send them to my place of employment. Is there anything possible I could do legally if she sends them? The pictures were intended for private use; not publication! If...

Can I sue for this, and what would I sue for? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I recently was dragged to court to defend myself against a sexual assault accusation. It was a he said/she said case, and I was actually arrested and charged without having talked to the accuser or the police. Anyway, long story short, I was acquitted (with flying colours - judge in...

View more questions Search