Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    h0llister Posts: 335, Reputation: 15

May 26, 2010, 02:26 PM
    How to help my mom
    Hey everyone, thank you for reading. I have a problem and I have absoluetly no idea how to go about fixing it.

It's about my mother, I think she has depression or something. I don't know how to help her, I do currently live with her. She has no friends, she says she doesn't trust anyone in this world expect my brother and I. My brother is really busy in university and working so he is barely around. She hasn't worked in 2 years because her father (my grandpa) passsed away and she had to deal with that but that was so long ago. Now she has developed back problems but she never takes care of her body, some days she will only eat like toast or something an we do have money for good meals, she says she never feels like cooking . So I will cook nice meals for her whenever I can. Also she has let her body go all her teeth are pretty much decayed, she has back problems so she says she doesn't no where to work, she sits at home all day playing online games. I feel so bad I want to help her but every time I try to bring up the topic she shuts right down and she's like I don't want to talk about it. I've tried approaching it several different ways. But she's the kind of person who would rather aviod a problem until it's bad enough you have no choose but to deal with it. Her health is declining, her body is starting to have problems, she doesn't want to do anything, she isn't even botherig to find a job. She's just using all her savings to pay for stuff right now, but it won't last forever. I'm so worried about her I dontknow what t o do, sometimes I'll take her out to the movies and stuff but usually she wants to stay at home. Please does anyone have advice on how to help someone like this?? Also she's only 40years old and I'm 19.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 26, 2010, 03:21 PM

Your in a tough situation. You can't help someone unless they are willing to participate. Its sad that in a way you have become the parent in this situation. Sort of a role reversal. As far as what to do? Is it possible she is addicted to what she is playing? Some people have that happen to them. Its also important to know because the routes to treatment of any kind are different based on the real problem.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 26, 2010, 03:33 PM
    My uncle was where she is -- it's like, "Everything's falling apart,, and I don't know where to start fixing anything. And even if I start fixing things, other things will fall apart, plus it's all too expensive to fix."

She is probably still depressed from her father's death. She never worked through it, and now, with her body and life falling apart around her, that's even more reason for being depressed, so "let's just ignore it all because nothing can get fixed easily or cheaply and I'll just bury my head in the sand and play with the computer all day."

Are there other family members who can step in? The family needs to get her to a psychiatrist or even to her family doctor -- and not let her fall back into apathy!
    h0llister Posts: 335, Reputation: 15

May 26, 2010, 04:08 PM

I don't believe she is really that addicted to the games it's just more out of Boredum she plays them...

Wondergirl- that sounds excatly like her. Also she was like this before my grandpa passed away but she ha a job then but she would work 12hour days almost everyday. She doesn't stay in contact with any of the family, I barely even know anyone in that side of my family because of that. I just don't know what to do I actually meantioned her to see someone to talk to an she said she doesn't want to waste her money on that stuff. I just love her so much and She has a great heart , she's just so sad or something and I want her to live life to the fullest I just don't know how to help her.. Thank you for the responses .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom and Step mom in hate! [ 6 Answers ]

My mom and step mom are not getting along. It all started with a stupid gift card! Out of all things. My card only had $3.45 on it and my brother only had $.19 on his. The cards were soposed to have $20.00 on it. My mom and step mom live one house away from each other and then they just get into...

Early 90's movie where lady locks mom in basement because mom is monster [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm trying to remember the name of this horror movie that I think came out in the early 90's or late 80's where at the beginning, this lady goes to a gypsy/fortune teller and the fortune teller gives her a Moon and Star pendant and tells her that her soul mate will have the same Moon and Star...

Step Mom listens in on kids conversations with real Mom [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter who is 41 , lives with me, and is an alcoholic, but calls her children every night. I am always within hearing distance. The step Mom listens in and if she doesn't like the conversation or the question my daughter asks she hangs up the phone on them and won't answer the phone if my...

Mom step mom issues [ 9 Answers ]

I married a man who is the primary custodial parent. So the child lives with us. This child loves my kids, she seems exited about us moving in with dad. Now the mother who has her every other weeked is sending emails, that her daughter was the queen of this castle, now is a house full of kids I...

Known as grandma to be mom, and real mom to be sister! [ 2 Answers ]

So I'm 12 years old and last summer the "secret" came out. The whole Summer of 08 sucked "butt" every signal day my "mom" and "sister" fought. Now there fighting for mine and my other sister's love I still call my "grandma" mom just not around my "real" "mom". Its sooooo weird to be around them at...

View more questions Search