Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alisont Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2006, 03:57 AM
    Georgia Garnishment
    My question is in regards to wage garnishments in the state of Georgia. What types of debit can I be garnished for in Georgia? Will filing bankruptcy keep me from having my wages garnished?

Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 05:39 AM
    Hello ali:

What kinds of debt? Any kind, as long as they sued you and won. Yes, filing bankruptcy will stop garnishment.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2006, 06:29 AM
    A garnishment occurs after your creditor successfully sues you and obtains a judgement against and you still do not pay the debt. You can be sued for ANY debt.

Bankruptcy can forestall garnishment, if the debt is dischargeable, not all debt is.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 07:23 PM
    You can be garnished for any debt that has become a judgement of law against you. Common examples are child support, alimony and back taxes. Filing bankruptcy will keep your wages from being garnished only for dischargeable debts. Dischargeable debts include unsecured debts such as occur with a credit card. Child support, alimony, back taxes and any debts owed to the government are not dischargeable and can still be garnished despite a bankruptcy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Georgia Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just found out that there is a garnishment on my bank account in Georgia resulting in a zero balance :( Do you think they can take my car This debt is not related to my car which is paid for. Also do you think there is anyway I can get this garnishment off my account? I am trying to pay this...

Garnishment in Georgia [ 5 Answers ]

A previous landlord filed a Garnishment, faxed the Garnishment paperwork to my husband's place of employment on a day that he wasn't working, and we had already paid the debt in full one day previous to finding out that he had filed the paperwork. What legal grounds do we have for the sending of...

Coastal Vacation in Southern Georgia [ 10 Answers ]

My family (5-8 people) is looking a great location for our summer of 2006 vacation... We love the beach and would appriciate any information that would give us information about desirable places... Thank You!

Georgia state taxes-OPT-H1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello- I was wondering if anyone could help me with my Georgia state taxes This is my employment history Aug 2002-Dec 2004- F1 (Wisconsin) Feb 2005-October 2005- OPT (Atlanta, GA) November 2005 to present - H1 (Atlanta, GA)

Georgia State OPT tax [ 1 Answers ]

Can I know how much is the OPT tax in Georgia state. My OPT ends on Feb 9,2006. My income will be around 30-35k during this year.

View more questions Search