Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lovingsurrender Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2010, 12:05 PM
    Evicting estranged husband's relatives who have moved into a house I own
    My husband and I are separated. I moved out of our house which was under construction from one end to the other, in April of 08 to get away from him. The kids didn't want to be with him either and moved with me. I now live in 1300 sf with three kids and he had the 4000 square foot house. He was glad to see me leave and immediately made an agreement with his sister, bro in law and their FIVE kids to move into MY house without even asking me about it! They have no lease... they moved in and helped "finish" it so they could live there. They abandoned their old house to foreclosure to do this. I have hated them taking over my house and now they are pushing even my husband out of his own home. He and I have agreed to disagree and I said I want my house back. It costs about $2800 a month for me to live away with the kids and I have told him we need to share that house WE own and consolidate our money to survive. Husband said he doesn't know how to get out of the "mess" he created by bringing them and all their crap... into my home. How do I get his family members... who have disallowed me any entry to the house while they are there unless I am ACCOMPANIED by my ex... OUT OF MY HOUSE?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 23, 2010, 12:07 PM

Who lives where should have been covered in your Separation Agreement.

However - you need to evict these people. You don't need any particular reason in MOST (not all) States. Wanting them out so YOU can move back in is reason enough.

I would be prepared for them to bring an action (probably in Small Claims Court) for money they claim they put into the house, expecting to stay there. A lot of who wins will depend on who is most credible, what makes the most sense to a Judge.

They are tenants. Unless it's an emergency OR you have a specific written agreement they do not have to let you into "your" house - it has become legally "their residence" by virtue of them living there.

So start eviction proceedings according to your State Law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2010, 12:51 PM

Of course if the hubby ( ex) is still owner of the home, name on the deed, he can let anyone he wants live there also.

So first
    1. who is on the deed as owning the home

2.what type of legal separation agreement do you have and is ownership of the houses covered in it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 23, 2010, 01:51 PM

Great questions fron Fr, we need to know if there is an agreement of separation and who is on the deed. If, like most families, its you and your hubby you both have to agree to evict.
    Lovingsurrender Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 05:55 PM
    There is no separation in Florida. We are simply living apart. We are 50/50 on the deed. Mutually and equally owned. From what I have read in Florida law, he cannot rent the property, sell the property or refinance the property without my signature as well. I was never consulted about any of this. He simply did what he wanted to with it and still does. He said they have a "lease" but how can it even be a legal document if he can't legally "rent" in the first place? Im not allowed on the property because my religion is different than theirs and I am shunned. Nice... take over MY house and then treat me like crap. Even more reason I want them the hell out of there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 07:16 PM

The fact is they are there, and normally you can't evict someone your joint owner has allowed to live there.

You can consider sueing him for 1/2 of the rent he is getting.

You need to clear up the separation either with a formal agreement in writing or file for divorce

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband's relatives causing stress [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, About 10 days back my husband's uncle with his entire family came to ou house and ever since they have been staying with us. They had come for admission of their son in one of the institutes in our city. Even though admission is now over and the his classes have begun they are not trying...

Evicting former owner and/or relatives [ 1 Answers ]

My employer has a single family home in Arapahoe County, Colorado. The former owner gave us a Quit Claim Deed (in lieu of foreclosure - he is over a year behind in payments). When my boss went to check the house, the former owner is not living there however his wife might be and there are...

Evicting someone from your house [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if I give my roommate 30 days written notice and he refuses to leave can I file with jackson County mo courts or have to get lawyer. If need to get lawyer how much can I expect it to cost. Finances are tight.

Putting my name on my husband's house owned before marriage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. My husband and I have been married for a year. He's owned our house 5 years before we got married. I want my name put on the deed. Is there a way of indicating that he owned for the house for 5 years, and from last year on we both will own together?

Evicting Relatives [ 1 Answers ]

How do I legally evict my son from our second home. No rent has been colleted

View more questions Search