Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    winkiesmokey Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2006, 05:01 PM
    No hot water in my condo
    I own a condo. Last week property management posted a notice that our water would be turned off for mantenance. Two of the 5 buildings in our complex have not had hot water since. When I called property management their first response was its my problem because no one else has complained. I have been going to friends houses before work (4AM) to take showers, my 4 year old is taking baths with water boiled on the stove, I cannot do dishes. Property management is now saying that it gets hot if it is on for more than 5 minutes, but this is not true for me or two of my other neighbors that I know of. Is it legal for them to let us go with no hot water for more than a week? Please help!!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2006, 09:34 PM
    Is it that you have no hot water or no water at all?

Having no hot water is manageable, take cold showers, etc…

Having no water at all is a whole other issue.

Can they legally do this?

Well, where do you live?

And it being a condo, it is not an apartment, but rather a bunch of people who own their condos so perhaps the board is not picking up their slack.

After a week I would be yelling my head off at each board member until the problem was fixed or given a satisfactory answer.

Dec 8, 2006, 01:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Is it that you have no hot water or no water at all?

Having no hot water is manageable, take cold showers, etc…

Having no water at all is a whole other issue.

Can they legally do this?

Well, where do you live?

And it being a condo, it is not an apartment, but rather a bunch of people who own their condos so perhaps the board is not picking up their slack.

After a week I would be yelling my head off at each board member until the problem was fixed or given a satisfactory answer.

Thanks for answering. We do have water but only cold and at times it is a muddy brown color. None of the board memebers live in the buildings that don't have water. For the first two days they told us that we were lying. Screaming at them is also impossible as they will fine us if we contact them and not property management, however property management is not returning calls to us now either.

We are in San Diego. I am completely stuck as we have a boiler room and even if I wanted to I could not hire anyone on my own to come fix it. Being that I own and not rent, I can't just move out but its not sanitary to have no hot water. I just don't know what else to do.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 06:25 AM
    Hello winkie:

They're playing you like a ping pong ball. It's time to reverse the situation.

Write a letter to the management company with a copy sent to the board. Document the affair to date. Then inform the company that if you don't have hot water in 24 hours, that you'll file suit. Hand deliver it to the office and send a copy certified, return receipt requested.

If they don't act, then sue them.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2006, 06:35 AM
    First I would check the laws on condo associations and the bylaws of your condo to make sure of what your rights are. After that, I would have a plumber come in and make sure the problem is not just within your unit as well as confirm the problem. You OWN the condo and can have repairmen come into fix a problem within the unit. Your next step is as excon outlined. Write the letter enclosing a copy of the plumber's assessment.

Dec 8, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Thanks everyone for your help. I actully called the city and filed a complaint with them this morning. I do now have hot water (not sure how long it will last but it is the first time in 8 days). Thanks again!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

Hot water not available on some units in my condo [ 9 Answers ]

Hello: I live in a condo where there are 6 units to a building. I recently had to shut off the water supply to the entire building to replace a hot water tap in the kitchen dishwasher as part of a remodeling project (lots of banging, tearing). Now my neighbors downstairs are saying that they...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Replacing Hot Water Radiators with Hot Water Baseboards [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hot water heating system with radiators, and I want to replace the radiators in the upstairs bathroom and bedrooms (2) with hot water baseboards. Can radiators and baseboards be mixed and if so, how do I determine the size of the baseboards?

Condo water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

Ref: 18th floor condo, low water pressure. Condo has 192 units. History: Three months ago a neighbor busted a washing machine cold water input hose and it destroyed the ceiling in a unit below, on the 17th floor. The association was sued by the owner of the unit on the 17th floor stating that the...

View more questions Search