Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 08:22 AM
    Who do you think will go to hell, or do you even believe in hell?
    I was in church yesterday and the pastor preached on hell. He stated that 13% of what Jesus Christ is recorded as saying in the Gospels were concerning hell. He also thinks that it is politically incorrect to talk about it in our culture. Many preachers don't want to address the topic because people feel offended or don't like to hear about something so hopeless. So, what do you think? Do you think it is a real place? Do you think some people are headed there when they die? Do you have to be a BAD person to wind up there? Who do you think will go to hell?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 17, 2010, 08:40 AM

Classy,

Your Pastor's statement makes sense to me. Remember, that he is in the business of guiding us people toward the opposite direction of Hell.

1) Yes, to me I believe that Hell is a real place.

2) Yes, I believe that some are pointing in that direction. Although I have no idea who or why they are bound for Hell. That said I pray that I am not one of them!

3) I believe that you have to earn your way into Hell. So yes, I believe that you have to break with the "Laws of God" and to do that you more than likely are a bad person. Heaven is the gift from God.

4) Very tough question. I have no idea. As I said earlier, I would not volunteer to make the trip willingly.

I believe that there are entire cultures that have not been exposed to Christianity in any form. But I do remember reading a book called "His Way(?)" by a Jesuit priest from Louisiana. He posited that a society will develop and standards of behavior will evolve whether Christian principles are employed. The judgement of Right or Wrong would be a society level including religious forms and customs.

If this is so, then even the most primitive of societies will be held to standards of right and wrong.

I believe that God will judge all in accordance with His/Her expectations. And since I am not God, I have no idea what to expect. Heaven will be nice though, don't you think. :)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 17, 2010, 08:41 AM

Well, the religion I was raised in (mormonism) doesn't believe ANYONE goes to hell. As far as they're concerned, hell is just for the angels that fell with lucifer. Humans have never gone there, and never will.

That concept has mixed with karma, and a few personal ideals, in more recent years. I think that those who've committed crimes against man (not crimes against society or god) and are truly unremorseful, and have to face their crimes and how they effected others. Once they understand how they wronged others and are TRULY remorseful (not just pretending), they get to move onto whatever lies beyond.

I don't think hell is a place where people are sent for eternal punishment. That just wouldn't be fair. Everyone is worth a second chance, some just take longer to earn it than others.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 11:55 AM

Hhealth,

Interesting... I didn't know mormons believe that. I do agree that hell was made for satan and the fallen angels and I do NOT believe it is God's desire that any man go to hell.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Hhealth,

Interesting...i didn't know mormons believe that. I do agree that hell was made for satan and the fallen angels and I do NOT believe it is God's desire that any man go to hell.
    I do believe there's a hell prepared for Satan and his angels, but I do believe there will be people who go there. What about people who have never heard of Jesus? I heard an excellent sermon on that while in Bible college. It was built on Romans 1. Everybody knows something about God; nature tells us certain things about him. Some people know more about God; he revealed things about himself to individuals and groups throughout history. And some know quite a bit about God; those of us who have his complete revelation have no excuse. But regardless of where someone is on that knowledge spectrum, they have to ACT on the information that they have. Someone who sees creation and can tell that something must have put it there and must keep it going, but chooses to worship the creation itself rather than the creator, is in the same boat as the person who knows who Jesus is and rejects him in favor of something else. IOW, God doesn't send people to hell; they make their choices and live with the consequences.

And regarding that opinion, I can only quote the great theologian D. Duck: "It's mine, I tell you! Mine, mine, mine! All mine!"
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 12:37 PM

Well unfortunately Dave, I have to agree with you. I don't believe it is God's desire.. well I KNOW it isn't God's desire to send anyone there.

What has my heart broken is that I don't even believe it has to be a particularly BAD person. Just an unbeliever.

Incidentally, what do you make of the Bible saying that Judas went to "his own place"... after he died?

... Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
    Act 1:25

Any thoughts ?
    Experts

May 17, 2010, 12:41 PM

He's sitting by himself in an empty room floating out in the ether?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 01:13 PM

I think Judas went to hell. The Bible states ,"he repented within himself", which tells me he didn't ask God for forgiveness.

I believe there are people who are good and who are nice people, but good works do not get you into heaven... it's the blood of Jesus Christ applied to your heart that does that.

Many people do not believe in Heaven or hell and the bible tells us there will be scoffers in the last days who will deny Christ. I think that day is here.

When the rich man died the bible says, "In hell he lifted up his eyes".
    Preachers who are Godly will not be afraid to preach on Hell, it is their calling to warn the sinners or unsaved there are consequences for their unbelief.

God doesn't send people to hell, they send themselves by their disobedience. No man or woman in this world is perfect. There are people who mock Christs name and say "he isn't the Messiah even today. It will be a joyous day when he takes his children home and a horrible day for those who have trod upon his word and led others to their beliefs. Thank God for the lamb of God .

Thank God even I know my name is there in his book of life. I'm not perfect, just forgiven.
    Experts

May 17, 2010, 01:16 PM

Sucks to me, then. I'm going to hell. Oops.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    sucks to me, then. i'm going to hell. oops.
    Hi Heath... Salvation is free to everyone. Jesus paid the price for our sins when he died on the cross. Whether we accept or not is our decision. I hope you look at the good Christians and not to the ones who like me , get angry and shame Jesus everyday. Christ has all the answers. Bless You Heath.
    Experts

May 17, 2010, 01:44 PM

I was raised christian. It's just not a faith that fits me. So, I found a religion that fits me, and gives me a sense of peace and contentment I didn't have before.

I think each faith has it's own afterlife. Christians have their heaven and hell. Bhuddists have reincarnation. Wiccans have the summerlands. Each person will go to the afterlife that fits their religion.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2010, 03:51 PM

I believe

Hell is a real place, We are told and warned about it in the bible.
    God does not want anyone to go there, in fact he did not want it so badly he sent his Son to die for our sins, so we would not have to go.

All he needs is for us to accept it as a free gift.

So who will go, a lot of great, wonderful people who did good all the time, along with a lot of evil people, the ones who go are the people who have not accept Christ for their salvation
    BabiixG Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

May 17, 2010, 03:56 PM

I think that as long as you lead a good life and treat others kind that you will be in a good place after you die whether you believe in Jesus / God or in Buddha or whatever it is you believe. I would hate to think I'm going to hell for being a buddhist or another religion besides the ones that worship God. I believe there's definitely a God out there but I don't believe in Heaven or hell I believe in afterlife =) I don't even fall into any one religion my beliefs can't be labeled.. not by any religion that I know of and besides how much of the bible can you take literally after all it was translated! I pray to buddha when when I feel like I'm in danger and my son is also blessed as a buddhist. But when he grows up ofcouse it is his choice. I also go to temple not church I doubt I will go to Hell for this. It's different for everyone but the one rule is to treat others the way you want to be treated and I think you can't go wrong if you follow that.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    i was raised christian. It's just not a faith that fits me. So, i found a religion that fits me, and gives me a sense of peace and contentment i didn't have before.
    It's not about how you feel or how I feel; it's about truth.

i think each faith has it's own afterlife. Christians have their heaven and hell. Bhuddists have reincarnation. Wiccans have the summerlands. Each person will go to the afterlife that fits their religion.
    Wow. Reality tells us that a thing can't be both X and not-X at the same time. Buddhism says there's reincarnation, Christianity says you die once and then judgment. These two diametrically opposite teachings can't both be correct. One or the other can be right, or they can both be wrong, but they can't both be right. It's a logical impossibility.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Well unfortunately Dave, I have to agree with you. I don't believe it is God's desire..well I KNOW it isn't God's desire to send anyone there.

What has my heart broken is that I don't even believe it has to be a particularly BAD person. Just an unbeliever.

Incidently, what do you make of the Bible saying that Judas went to "his own place"...after he died?

.... Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
    Act 1:25

Any thoughts ?
    Good question. I would assume it means he went to hell, but it could have to do with his being "displaced" as one of the twelve, as hinted at in the Psalms quotes that Peter mentioned in some of the previous verses. It doesn't necessarily specify that he went to "his own place" after he died; the expression that the KJV translates "by transgression fell" basically means "he turned away from it," so "his own place" could just mean "a position outside of the apostolic circle that he used to be part of." I sure wouldn't go to the stake for that idea, though.

Interesting question!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 17, 2010, 05:02 PM

I was raised Catholic, I have s child out of wedlock, I drink, I smoke, I swear, and I lived with a man with out being married. I am damned.

I still believe in God, and I believe only he can judge me. So when that time comes, and I am standing before what ever may exists beyond this life, I know it is not a Mormon, a Catholic or a Jew who will judge me, but God himself. Whoever or what ever that may be.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    It's not about how you feel or how I feel; it's about truth.

Wow. Reality tells us that a thing can't be both X and not-X at the same time. Buddhism says there's reincarnation, Christianity says you die once and then judgment. These two diametrically opposite teachings can't both be correct. One or the other can be right, or they can both be wrong, but they can't both be right. It's a logical impossibility.
    Jesus own disciples doubted what he told them... But he arose on that third day. The Bibles says.. "he will come like a thief in the night". Many people are expecting their homes to be invaded or are afraid they will be,
    So they have alarms and other devices against a thief. Christians are expecting him to come at anytime. We are armed with the blood he shed at Calvary.

Jesus said himself, There will be many , many who will say Lord I have prophesied in thy name and cast out devils, I have gone to church or I am a good person, but when we stand before him if we do not have the blood applied, he will say."Depart from me ye workers of iniquity, for I never knew you

I think the second coming of Jesus is at the door and many will say; They've been saying that for hundreds of years. Yes they have but the
    day is drawing nearer. How wonderful it will be for God's children and how horrible for the ones who aren't saved. I think it will be wonderful
    to see our loved ones and to see Jesus. I can't wait.

I believe all the prophesies have been fulfilled and it could be tomorrow, or next week . Whenever he comes back there will be people who will say
    "oh my God, it was the truth, the Crucifixion, the resurrection and I'm lost. How sad. Bless all of you!
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I was raised Catholic, I have s child out of wedlock, I drink, i smoke, I swear, and I lived with a man with out being married. I am damned.

i still believe in God, and I believe only he can judge me. So when that time comes, and I am standing before what ever may exists beyond this life, I know it is not a Mormon, a Catholic or a Jew who will judge me, but God himself. whoever or what ever that may be.
    You're not damned unless you want to be; forgiveness is as available to you as it is to anybody else. That's the whole point. I was raised Baptist - or should I say, Bebdiss, since they're about the only denomination that can't seem to pronounce their own name - but I lived with a woman without being married, smoked for years, still drink occasionally, curse when the situation calls for it, and all the rest. It's not about what you do, it's about Who you know.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 17, 2010, 05:56 PM

I have made my peace. I am who I am. I live my life to the best I can, I am the best I can be. I know there is always room for improvement, but I am at peace with my God.
    BabiixG Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

May 17, 2010, 06:53 PM

Well they are both right to me because I believe there is A GOD that made the universe but that doesn't mean I have to believe everything in the bible is translated correctly.. and just because I believe buddhism teachings doesn't mean that I can't believe that Jesus existed And nobody can say who's beliefs are right are wrong because nobody will know until they die And yes I can believe in both because the people at the temple don't care if I believe in God or not.They teach me to have respect and not judge other people by their beliefs and to live in peace with each other regardless of religion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What the hell! [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everyone, please give me some insight on this. My girlfriend of 3 years broke up with me on my birthday 3 months ago today. She was a very dominate person, she wanted the truth about everything no matter how small the subject. I was married before for 12 years and have a step-son...

In hell. [ 4 Answers ]

I work for the VA. I work with an irritating individual. She quests for power and does everything to get it. I was detailed to another department which I loved. Now I am back And although I have spoken with her superiors, she is still quietly making my (our) Workplace a hostile one. For...

Why the Hell! [ 8 Answers ]

Why the hell someone put everything into something and get nothing out of it? Why someone thinks that this is the best ever thing happened to you? And why that thing never realizes your worth and keep running away from you? Why the hell she says "I love you" and never behave like she meant what she...

Will I be sent to hell? [ 104 Answers ]

Well I am beginning to think I am gay and I am wondering if I would be sent to hell for this. I hear all the time on TV about how god hates gays, and I'm not sure if I am gay but this isn't helping... Also what if I kind of do not believe in god? My family is not very church active,

View more questions Search