Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Spontaneouslemon Posts: 75, Reputation: 5

May 16, 2010, 08:18 PM
    Throwing my 21st party, how necessary is alcohol?
    I'm throwing my 21st party at a bar and am inviting about 50 people. My friends claim that part of the fun of going to a party is having access to free alcohol and getting drunk. Problem is I can't afford to buy drinks for everyone at $5.50 per beer and $8 per vodka drink.
    My question is, how necessary is it for me to buy drinks for people? I was thinking of buying about 10 drinks for the first of my friends who arrive, and that's it since I won't be able to afford to buy drinks for everyone anyway. Is that even necessary? I mean people go to bars and buy their own drinks all the time! Doesn't it make sense for them to buy their own drink even though it is at a party in a bar?
    Anyway, is it really necessary to get that drunk at a party? I see this as a meeting point for all of my friends to hang out together on one night for my birthday and not necessarily an opportunity to get drunk for free...

What are your opinions?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 08:23 PM
    Hi, Spontaneouslemon!

What are some other reasons that you're having the party at a bar, please?

Perhaps the atmosphere? Food? Price to rent a room? Games that might be available? It's a usual hang-out for a lot of people you and others know? Maybe the bar has a special price on a "birthday package" for a party?

Thanks!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 08:27 PM

Well, I'm only 20. But turning 21 very soon. There's no way I would buy all of my friends enough drinks for everyone to get drunk on my birthday. Truthfully, I'd be a little hurt if no one bought me a drink for my 21st. I think you're right- it should be more of a meeting point than an opportunity for them to get drunk for free. Is that what they did for their 21st? Buy everyone else drinks all night?

May 16, 2010, 08:34 PM

Clough- I'm having the party there because I love the atmosphere and I'm able to reserve a fairly large area for free. Also I was going to throw a house party at my friend's house but that didn't work out so this is the alternative.

Justcurious- a lot of my friends have house parties and therefore supply the drinks but also ask people to bring their own drinks, which I can't do since this is a bar. (it's actually more of a pub)

I mean people can have fun at a party without getting crazy drunk right? I mean if they'd like to drink they can always buy something, and I'd rather they not get so drunk anyway because most will be driving home...

May 16, 2010, 09:08 PM

Oh and also, my mom keeps saying that I can't have a party and not offer anything to people. Is that seriously a problem? I mean they can get anything they want at the bar to eat or to drink. And I'll be bringing a cake, so they can have that!

Thoughts?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 09:18 PM

I like clough's suggestion, seeing if you can get a discount. Buying some of the food and drink would be nice. But I still don't feel like you should have to buy enough for everyone else to get drunk. Buy what you feel is appropriate and if they want more than you can offer, they can pay for whatever they want.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Is this the type of bar where underage people are allowed? Around here, there are some really great bars that also serve a variety of food where it's okay for underage people to be there.

I guess that I should ask though - Will there be any underage people there who'll be your guests?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 16, 2010, 10:19 PM

I've been to several parties where the host did not supply the drinks. In fact, the birthday person usually didn't end up paying for anything. Real friends wouldn't expect you to do that on YOUR birthday. You're supposed to be having fun, not paying a several hundred dollar (if not more) bar tab.

Just make it clear that people are expected to pay for their OWN drinks. If they don't like it, then they don't have to show up.

May 16, 2010, 10:47 PM

Clough- There may be a few underage people but less than a handful for sure. Most will be over 21. They only card if you order a drink.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 11:14 PM
    Okay. So, you're getting a fairly large area for free. That's great! :)

I would assume that this would be a party where you would want everyone to leave having happy memories of being there, as well as being made to feel special, because you're the one who invited them to your birthday.

If I was to put on that kind of party for myself and my friends, and it was to be held at a nice bar/pub, I would expect them to buy their own drinks, if they would want to. If the party were to be in my home, I would provide some kinds of drinks, although minimal, as well as invite people to bring their own.

No matter where the party were to be held, I would make it clear in a written invitation, as to what will be happening at the party. Food, (for example: finger foods, appetizers & h'orderves, snacks, desserts, etc.) Not all of those, but those are what they might be called. Socializing, celebrating your 21st. Birthday, party games, a cash bar will be available, etc. Any of the foregoing descriptive words could be used in an invitation.

1. Do you plan on sending out written invitations?

2. Would you like to be able to have food(s) available for free at the party?

You're already providing a cake. Perhaps some other desserts like ice cream and candy would also be nice to have.

Depending on how you answer, I do have some other ideas for you...
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 16, 2010, 11:19 PM

I would advise against having too many sugary things there. I think cake will be more than enough. Liquor and desserts don't always mix well.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 11:25 PM
    What I was getting at was to potentially maximize promoting things like foods, desserts and activities and to minimize anything being centered around drinking alcoholic beverages. Although, guests would be welcome to purchase alcoholic drinks, if they desired to do so.

It could also maybe be "plugged" as being a family-oriented party, so that guests would realize that, even though it is to be held at a bar, it's not intended to be some sort of drunken bash.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Throwing a graduation party, but... [ 3 Answers ]

I just completed graduate school and now throwing myself a party. However, before I get into that, I need to explain the back story regarding my guest list. Ok…about 10 years ago, my parents split up due to infidelity. They were both unfaithful to one another, but my father will never admit his...

Is it illegal for a minor to be at a party with alcohol? [ 2 Answers ]

So I'm having a birthday party and we're going to have alcohol there, but I also wanted my friend, who is a minor, to come to the party. We aren't going to let him drink, that's for sure, but I was wondering if we would get in trouble for him just being there? I don't want either of us to get in...

Nudity and Alcohol at a Private Party [ 11 Answers ]

I live in NY State and am trying to start a local nudist group on Long Island. I would like to meet at a bar because the alcohol is already there. These are not sex parties but social nudist parties However, I believe that in NY there is a law that nudity cannot exist where alcohol is served. ...

Throwing a Christmas Party. [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys, my friend and I are throwing a christmas party this weekend for 36+ people and were not that prepared, so I need your help mostly for the music, if there's any christmas songs that you would recommend for the party, any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and merry...

View more questions Search