Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dvxg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 03:09 PM
    balance sheet
    Can anybody help me solve this problem? I have difficulties with it. Thanks
    Balance sheet presentation

The following balance sheet was prepared by the bookkeeper for Perry Company as of December 31, 2007.

Perry Company
    Balance Sheet
    As of December 31, 2007
    Cash $80,000 Accounts payable $75,000
    Accounts receivable (net) 52,200 Long-term liabilities 100,000
    Inventories 57,000 Stockholders’ equity 218,500
    Investments 76,300
    Equipment (net) 96,000
    Patents 32,000
    $393,500 $393.500

The following additional information is provided:

1. Cash includes the cash surrender value of a life insurance policy $9,400, and a bank overdraft of $2,500 has been deducted.
    2. The net accounts receivable balance includes:
    (a) accounts receivable –debit balances $60,000
    (b) accounts receivable –credit balances $4,000
    (c) allowance for doubtful accounts $3,800
    3. Inventories do not include goods costing $3,000 shipped out on consignment.
    Receivables of $3,000 were recorded on these goods.
    4. Investments include investments in common stock, trading $19,000 and available-for-sale $48,300, and franchises $9,000.
    5. Equipment costing $5,000 with accumulated depreciation $4,000 is no longer used and is held for sale. Accumulated depreciation on the other equipment is $40,000.
    Instructions:
    Prepare a balance sheet in good form (stockholders’ equity details can be omitted.)
    coolwave Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Sure I can help you with this. Is this just a general question or it looks like for a class. I had to take accounting and I did not like it but did well. Where would you like me to start? Cool Wave
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2008, 02:00 AM
    It's most definitely homework. Not only are "general" questions usually not numbered so neatly, but this is also the Homework Help section. Everything here is homework unless someone has lost their way. And we aren't here to answer homework for anyone.

dvxg:
    You need to look at each thing one at a time and look at whether it was done correctly, and if not, what needed to be done with it. i.e. the first one lists two things that happened with cash. Does the cash surrender value belong in cash? If not, where does it belong? Should the bank overdraft have been deducted? If not, what should have happened to it? And if something is wrong, then correct it.

(Just as an example, let's say someone included a 3-month CD under Held-to-Maturity securities when it's supposed to be under Cash Equivalents. You would want to reduce the investment account by that amount and add it to the Cash & Cash Eq section by that same amount, to correct it.)

Go through each one in this manner. Not a bad idea to write the original balances with plenty of space in between to change balances as needed.

You need to make an attempt to do your own work first. Try to go through them and see what you can come up with. If you have specific questions about any of them, then ask the specific question.
    coolwave Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Hey DVXG, how are things with this. I have the answers. Let me know. Cool Wave
    TAccounts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 06:17 PM
    dvxg

I have written a program that helps solve problems just like this.

See index

Hope it helps.
    :)
    elsie olson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwave View Post
    Hey DVXG, how are things with this. I have the answers. Let me know. Cool Wave

I need same answers also. Help
    elsie olson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Do u have any reply to your questions? I also the answers. Help meto understand by sending them .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Balance Sheet [ 3 Answers ]

1- The current section of a balance sheet includes which one of the following accounts? 1- Office Expenses 2- Accumulated depreciation 3- Advances from Clients 4- Mortgage Payable Thanks for your help Dell

Classified Balance Sheet [ 3 Answers ]

How do you make one of these?

Classified Balance Sheet [ 3 Answers ]

I have I question regarding classified balance sheets. If expenses and revenue are listed and I have to create a classified balance sheet with those items above, assets, liabilities, and stockholders equity, how would I incorporate the revenue and expenses??

Balance sheet [ 2 Answers ]

My company's balance sheet is off 34500.00 when ever I make j/e's it is still off what could be some of the issues. The 34500.00 difference is in the trucks/equipment account.

View more questions Search