Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

May 13, 2010, 11:04 AM
    Hatching project
    Hi,
    I was wondering what people usually do with hatched chicken/ducks? I mean I would like to incubate chicken eggs to hatching and then grow them for a few weeks as a project with kids. But would not like to keep them for much longer than that: grown birds would need much more space for a healthy life than I could offer. Is there a way to give them away? Or what do people do to chickens/ducks grown for kid's science fairs? Appreciate any suggestion.
    Thanks,
    H.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 13, 2010, 12:31 PM

I am sure most people eat them if they are eating quality. Why don't you contact a local farm and ask if they would be willing to take them on after they reached a certain age?

Or a wild life conservatory?

May 13, 2010, 02:20 PM

Thanks! Yes, farmers is an option. Am wondering who else would be interested in young chicken considering popularity of home hatching.
    Dogs Expert

May 13, 2010, 02:21 PM

Why not talk to your local neighbors, to see if they would be interested in them as food?

Petting zoo's, hobby farms, wild life parks, the circus? (joking on that last one)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 13, 2010, 03:14 PM

You could always ask the farmer you get them from if he's willing to take them back after you're done.

My cousin did this and regretted it. First, they were messy. Second, she found out after getting them that it was illegal to have farm animals on her property as she lived in the burbs. Then she had to find homes for them and didn't want someone that would kill them.

It took a while, but finally a local farmer that keeps chickens as pets, took them all in.

One of the chicks was a rooster, started doing the cockadoodledoo at 4am. It was a nightmare.

You'll have to post pictures when they hatch. :)

May 14, 2010, 10:51 AM

Thanks! Do you mean one-two week old chicks may already be messy and noisy? We are planning on getting probably a dozen of eggs hoping to get half of them hatched, which I understand is a good number for them being comfortable and not lonely.

Jun 15, 2010, 05:32 PM
    Here is the outcome (one of several) of our hatching project:
    http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4138/100613chkn1.jpg
    All hatched before full 21 days, more than a half were out by 20 and 1/2 days. The first one hatched after only 20 days.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 05:33 PM

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! She is So freaking cute!! Did you find a home for them?

Jun 15, 2010, 05:37 PM

Yes, the very same people we got the eggs from are happy to take them back to their free range farm. Thanks for the advice.
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 06:03 PM

Thanks for coming back to let us know what happened.

So many times people post, leave, and we never know what they decided or how it turned out.

I'm so glad the project was a success. :)

Jun 15, 2010, 07:56 PM

The eggs were brown; the chicks are solid pale yellow or with a few small black speckles: http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5228/100614chkn3.jpg
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 09:45 PM

That is just too adorable.

I really want to cuddle it.

I may never eat chicken again. :eek:
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 05:30 AM

Awwww, what a great project for the kids :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My new project. [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone. Im working on a type of scrapbooking project. My boyfriend and I will be celebrating our anniversary soon and I want to make a special scrapbook for him. I read this idea in another site which consists on different kind of pictures from all over the world, so I'd like to ask kind...

VB Project [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a project that I have to do with vb Write a 5-6 question quiz with each question true or false. You may place the questions in text boxes or labels, and may use the visible property to display one box at a time if you wish. Decide how you want the user to input the answer (your choice,...

Parakeet eggs not hatching. [ 1 Answers ]

My Ringneck Parakeets are sitting on eggs laid in May. The first egg appeared May 10th. Should I remove the eggs? What is the best way to do this? (Well, I know, just reach in there and take them... ) SQUAWK!

Hatching chicken eggs [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hatch chicken eggs without a incuabator, I have read that you stop turning them on the 18th day, does anyone know why you do this?

View more questions Search