Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 12:32 PM
    Has texting become the new way to communicate?
    I met a guy about 2 weeks ago. We exchanged numbers and have been texting back and forth since then.

Call me crazy, but I can't tell if he's interested or not because all we do is text! There hasn't been one phone call. Yes I know, I could call him but I want him to initiate calling and asking me on a date.

I would much rather talk on the phone versus texting. I can't tell emotion through text but through a voice I can. Am I strange in thinking this? Has texting become the new way to swoon a girl?
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

May 12, 2010, 12:54 PM

He might be too shy to call you, but there could be 100 other possible reasons. Why spend your time guessing when you could pick up the phone and dial his number instead?

No harm is taking the initiative, it is the 21st century.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 01:39 PM

Sadly,yes in an effort toward instant communication we have backtracked a hundred years.
    People actually break up through text !
    The world has gone mad and I agree with Iwish,make the call and get some real communication happening :)
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Sadly,yes in an effort toward instant communication we have backtracked a hundred years.
    People actually break up through text !
    The world has gone mad and I agree with Iwish,make the call and get some real communication happening :)

Here's the thing though, I want him to make the first move and call me. That has nothing to do with texting.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE View Post
    Here's the thing though, I want him to make the first move and call me. That has nothing to do with texting.
    Text him and tell him you would like a real conversation!
    If he can't do that ,imagine how little he will be willing to give should you have a future.:rolleyes:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2010, 03:23 PM

It is a phone, in the time we take to send one message we could have discussed so much in really talking,

But yes, even I just bought a slide out phone with full keyboard to text and get on internet from my phone.
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

May 12, 2010, 09:01 PM

I would say it has become the new way of communication... texting... and yes, it is hard to gauge what the other person is thinking or feeling from a text message.

But when I started dating my wife, we used to text everyday, all the time and it was good. I might call her every once in a while, but texting just seemed more convenient.

Also, if you think about it, back in the day, people used to write each other letters while courting. A letter was so important to a girl back then and she would think the guy really liked her if he wrote her a letter. Thinking about it, a letter is not an easy way to figure out if a person is into you, but then I guess in those days, if a guy wrote a girl a letter, if did mean he was into her. He wouldn't usually write letters back and forth between friends.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 09:07 PM
    Hi, bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE!

If you pick up the phone and call him, that still wouldn't mean that he couldn't be first to ask you on a date.

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2010, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackVY View Post
    He wouldn't usually write letters back and forth between friends.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but yes, guys wrote letters to girls and vice versa (and guys to guys and girls to girls) even only as friends. Phone calls, especially long distance ones were too expensive (and one phone per house), and the only thing that was left was letter writing. It was really neat to send off a letter and wait for a reply maybe two weeks or so later (if the other person responded right away).

Now, should I tell you about having telephone party lines and having to wait for someone down the block who was on your party line to finish a conversation before you could make a call -- you'd keep lifting the receiver and listening, hoping they were off -- and meanwhile everyone on that line could listen to the conversation (and your conversation once you got a chance to make your call)?

May 12, 2010, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but yes, guys wrote letters to girls and vice versa (and guys to guys and girls to girls) even only as friends. Phone calls, especially long distance ones were too expensive, and the only thing that was left was letter writing. It was really neat to send off a letter and wait for a reply maybe a week or so later (if the other person responded right away).

Now, should I tell you about having telephone party lines and having to wait for someone down the block who was on your party line to finish a conversation before you could make a call -- you'd keep lifting the receiver and listening, hoping they were off -- and meanwhile everyone on that line could listen to the conversation (and your conversation once you got a chance to make your call)?
    That telephone party line thing sounds groovy... good way to spy... Lol!

But I guess what I'm trying to say is texting is a form of communication, and though its hard to read the person's feelings, you could gather quite a bit of information from what they say and how they say it.

I still have the little letters my girlfriend, now my wife, used to write to me... but some were 4-6 pages long too... lol!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2010, 09:23 PM
    That telephone party line thing sounds groovy... good way to spy... Lol!
    It definitely gave everyone who shared a party line the chance to know each other's business -- or you learned to keep your mouth shut about certain things until you talked with your friend or relative in person.
    you could gather quite a bit of information from what they say and how they say it.
    Maybe, but only if you've talked to that person a number of times and could hear and interpret the intake of breath or the sigh or the tone of voice and know what it might mean. In-person communication is still the best way to go.

We really need to go back to that telephone party line system for at least a week so everyone can appreciate the wonders of modern technology.

May 12, 2010, 09:27 PM
    It definitely gave everyone who shared a party line the chance to know each other's business -- or you learned to keep your mouth shut about certain things until you talked with your friend or relative in person.

Maybe, but only if you've talked to that person a number of times and could hear and interpret the intake of breath or the sigh or the tone of voice and know what it might mean. In-person communication is still the best way to go.

We really need to go back to that telephone party line system for at least a week so everyone can appreciate the wonders of modern technology.
    Also to catch up on the latest news about everyone... lol ;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2010, 09:32 PM
    Also to catch up on the latest news about everyone... lol ;)
    Nowadays, no one has secrets any longer -- note all the stuff you hear people say on their cell phones as they walk down the grocery store aisles, and note all the reality and self-help shows and Hollywood exposes. No secrets. Better yet, read the questions on the main AMHD board.

The OP should call the guy and tell him to call her.

May 12, 2010, 09:36 PM
    Nowadays, no one has secrets any longer -- note all the stuff you hear people say on their cell phones as they walk down the grocery store aisles, and note all the reality and self-help shows and Hollywood exposes. No secrets. Better yet, read the questions on the main AMHD board.

The OP should call the guy and tell him to call her.
    I don't know if calling a guy and telling him to call her is the right thing though... I mean if she said it in a very subtle way, that's fine like maybe in a text message she could say, "Give me a call something and maybe we can do something", but if she calls him and tells him to call her, its just a little weird in my opinion...
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 10:01 PM

I think it depends on what your texts contain , are you just conversing with each other about the weather or are you literally whispering sweet nothings with your keyboards??
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2010, 10:03 PM
    I don't know if calling a guy and telling him to call her is the right thing though... I mean if she said it in a very subtle way, thats fine like maybe in a text message she could say, "Give me a call something and maybe we can do something", but if she calls him and tells him to call her, its just a little weird in my opinion...
    I would pick up the phone, dial his number (or whatever you do to phones nowadays to connect with someone), and then if I got him or his voice mail, I would say, "This is Wondergirl. Call me. Now. Bye."

Why beat around the bush? Life is short.

May 12, 2010, 10:06 PM
    I'd pick up the phone, dial his number (or whatever you do to phones nowadays to connect with someone), and then if I got him or his voice mail, I would say, "This is Wondergirl. Call me. Now. Bye."

Why beat around the bush? Life is short.
    Haha! Very straight-forward aren't you?

Bet it takes a certain type of man to handle you... in a good way... :)

But that could work... personally if I was texting a girl and she left such a voicemail message on my phone, I'd either be freaked out something happened to her, and if not, I would think she is a little too strong, straight-forward and maybe desperate for me... no offense... just my opinion
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2010, 10:45 PM
    Haha! Very straight-forward aren't you?

Bet it takes a certain type of man to handle you... in a good way... :)

But that could work... personally if I was texting a girl and she left such a voicemail message on my phone, I'd either be freaked out something happened to her, and if not, I would think she is a little too strong, straight-forward and maybe desperate for me... no offense... just my opinion
    You wouldn't be just a little curious about the message if she didn't sound panicky? Nah, no desperation there. That's male ego talking. (I could give you a desperation message -- but maybe some other time.) After all, they HAVE been texting frequently and for two weeks. Why should she be shy? If they had texted only a few times, sure, such a message might make her sound desperate. But that's not the case. Keep 'em on edge and off center, I always say.

P.S. I've been married to the same guy for 43 years this coming May 28th. (And we've never texted each other.)

May 12, 2010, 10:51 PM
    You wouldn't be just a little curious about the message if she didn't sound panicky? Nah, no desperation there. That's male ego talking. (I could give you a desperation message -- but maybe some other time.) After all, they HAVE been texting frequently and for two weeks. Why should she be shy? If they had texted only a few times, sure, such a message might make her sound desperate. But that's not the case. Keep 'em on edge and off center, I always say.

P.S. I've been married to the same guy for 43 years this coming May 28th. (And we've never texted each other.)
    Wow! Congrads WonderGirl... 43 years is awesome... obviously he is the right guy for you. He wouldn't have gotten scared if you left a voicemail message like the one you mentioned before... if there had been voicemail in your courting days... lol ;)

I guess you could be right there, they have been texting a while, so it might work, just got to give it a go hey? Like you said, life is too short... :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 12, 2010, 10:54 PM
    Wow! Congrads WonderGirl... 43 years is awesome... obviously he is the right guy for you.
    He's rarely given me any trouble, so I've kept him around.:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My ex is texting me why? [ 4 Answers ]

My ex started texting me after 6 months of silence we had a nasty break up then she went back to one of her exs and is now pregnant.she says she wants to be friends but yet says we don't know what the future holds what is she trying to tell me?

Texting him [ 2 Answers ]

I like him a lot but what do I say to him through a text?

Texting ma ex [ 11 Answers ]

Do you guys think that it is weird that I can't stop contacting my ex after freaking 8 months. I will go up to two weeks without talking to her and then I'll send her a text message or something. I still think about her a good bit but I never call her. Usually if I write her I will immediately...

Only Texting [ 2 Answers ]

This guy and I have liked each other for about 3 months now, and everything was going fine. He was being super sweet and it was amazing. We just remained only friends because it took the stress out of it. But then we had spring break and I didn't see him for 2 weeks. I was so excited when I came...

My ex is texting me again... What does it mean? [ 7 Answers ]

I posted this one up about 2 weeks back https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=23777 Now after how it was left off on Friday her saying it will only complicate things more if we see each other as friends and for me to take care I get a text from her yesterday (4 days after I said that)....

View more questions Search