Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jamie3132 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

May 11, 2010, 07:37 AM
    I dislocated a shoulder and aggravated it. Pain won't go away for weeks. What to do?
    I dislocated it 4 years ago. From time to time I aggravate it, sometimes just by putting a shirt on too quickly, sleeping on it wrong, push ups, throwing a ball, etc... This time its more painful and will not go away for 2 weeks now. Feels like pressure is being put on it. Raw and sore.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 11, 2010, 07:59 AM

It would seem a doctor's visit is in order. We can't diagnose here on AMHD as we don't really know previous conditions or medical history. The fact that you dislocated it four years ago, and it healed, could be arthritic now but you should have a doctor diagnose.

Tick

May 11, 2010, 04:54 PM
    Well, I have a doctor's appt. tomorrow... I'll let you know what they say!

May 12, 2010, 05:31 PM

Doctor took x-rays.. no broken bones I guess. He set me up for an MRI next week and another visits with him after that. He was too busy to even really ask me how it was. I have to wait 5 more days just to get an MRI and he didn't give me anything for my pain. I couldn't believe it as I left. I'm thinking of calling him tomorrow and asking if he could give me something. I could handle the pain but its hard to sleep and I could use something like that at night. Do you think I should call and ask for meds? I just feel kind of stupid asking for that, it seems like he should have gave me somehting.

May 16, 2010, 05:08 PM

I called and asked for meds but he said just wait until after the MRI. Can I ask foir pain meds while I'm at the hospital? That is tomorrow but I don't go back to the ortho until Wednesday and I really can't take not getting some sort of comfort until then. Ibuprofen and aspirin does not work. Help me, someone tell me what to do.
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

May 16, 2010, 05:17 PM

If the pain is unbearable you should go to the emergency room. They will not give you pain medicine when you go for your MRI because it will be technicians running the test. You would need to be admitted to the ER and a doctor there would be able to treat your pain.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 05:26 PM

MDs are reluctant to prescribe pain medications because of the DEA reporting requirements that attach. My friends in the doctor business don't like that, but have no choice but to comply.

Don't attempt to go around your doc, but you might express your level of pain to the tech at the hospital but all they can do is convey that info to the referring (your) doc.

Worth a try but I'd be prepared for the pain if I were you.

Wish I had better news...
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

May 16, 2010, 06:38 PM

Pain is subjective. OP says his doctor did not have time to listen to him explain his level of pain, then suggested he wait till after his MRI and next appointment for pain management. ER doctors typically will treat acute pain. Here is a policy statement from ACEP

Pain Management in the Emergency Department

May 17, 2010, 04:20 AM

Then what can I do on my own to help ease the pain short of trying to find meds online or something?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 17, 2010, 04:25 AM

Do you know anyone who sells marijuana ? No I am not kidding, I am in Canada and some of my clients with extreme pain, that can't be handled by conventional means, have special cards allowing them to purchase and use marijuana. I am not meaning for you to try to get this certificate, I don't know where you live, but you could try it. I don't think you can purchase the type of meds you need for pain on line anyway, you don't have a prescription.

Tick

May 18, 2010, 05:54 AM

I hear you but I wouldn't do that. Just stuck and don't know what to do. Thanks for all your answers and help people.
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

May 19, 2010, 08:05 PM

Do you know how to stomp your feet and make a dcotor listen to you. Well I think that is in order for your next appointment.
    Tell that s o b how much it hurts. Stick up for yourself. No one else will. Put on your big boy panties and let him have.
    askmeaskmeaskme Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2010, 10:19 PM

I had dislocated shoulder and is the worst pain ever---u have to wear a brace you can buy that in pharmacy and don't use yr hand for 2 weeks--i took good supplements premiere research lab.. a volcanic mud my chiropractor gave me you mix with water go under sun for 10 min few times a day--lots of good supplements and very light proper exercise--just do whatever you think is best for u--go on Google and do a lot of research--doctors are like that--my treshold to pain if high--i didn't take vicadin only once--but if you have to ask for it so you can sleep--and sleeping was the tuffest thing for me --i had so many pillows to even nap for 20 mins--good luck and my prayers is worst pain ever.///
    askmeaskmeaskme Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2010, 10:24 PM

By the way it takes at least one yr for your body to heal itself.. just wear brace when you are on computer---but try to move yr hand --first days I couldn't even raise one finger--just be patient--about one month or so you can raise your hand up --but go on Google and do yr own research--that is what I did--find exercises--get some sleeping pills for times you can't even blink for one sec and what ever else you see is fit---take all avenues be open minded go for good acupuncture and a good chiroporactor and get all kinds of advice--is yr body hon and only one you got--god bless

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dislocated shoulder bone [ 20 Answers ]

Hi I am male, 23 years old, I was the attention of a mob attack 6 months ago, now during the experience a cop tried to help me but was pushed over and he fell on me, now this was quite a well built, stocky fellow, and I land on my left shoulder with both his and my weight on it, the shoulder...

Shoulder PAIN [ 1 Answers ]

I've had a pain in my shoulder for about 8 months now. I went to bed one night push my body up to the pillow and my shoulder popped now it's had a burning pain ever sense. If I move my arm behind me and up it hurts any ideas. No I haven't been to the doctor yet.

Shoulder pain [ 2 Answers ]

I am having shooting pain down my biceps and I feel like its coming from my shoulder, what could it be?

Shoulder pain [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 75 years old female. I have started to feel a sharp pain below my left shoulder blade. What should I use for treatment. Thank you.

View more questions Search