Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billspringer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 06:57 AM
    Basement Bathroom Smell
    We have a bathroom in our basement and after heavy use (we had 15 people in the house over Thanksgiving), both in this bathroom and the others( 2 full on 2nd floor and a powder room on the 1st), there is a very bad smell in the basement bathroom. We have septic, which is somewhat overbuilt (2 1200 gal holding tanks). The leach field is large. We've never had a problem with it.

There is an ejector pit in the basement, which works well. We caulked around it to make sure it's sealed.

The basement bathroom was built last spring and has been regularly used by my wife and me. The 2 bathrooms on the 2nd floor were remodeled this fall and there was some relocation of water lines up there.

The plumber who built it doesn't have an answer.

Help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Hey Bill,

Well the first thing I would check is the ejector pit vent. It not only breaths in like a regular vent but also expels sewer gas when it breaths out. If this vent were clogged then every time you flushed or drained sewer gas would be forced out of the nearest opening. Good luck Tom
    billspringer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Possible, but the construction plumber tapped all over it and he says it's not clogged.

billspringer
    New Member Join Date: Dec 2006

Basment bathroom smell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What if the septic system was challenged by the heavy usage? Would that cause the smell?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2006, 07:39 AM
    " the construction plumber tapped all over it and he says it's not clogged."

Perhaps not a solid clog but even a partial clog would set up a back pressure situation where sewer gas would not be vented. Tapping a pipe will tell you if it's plugged solid but won't tell you if it's completely clear.

"What if the septic system was challenged by the heavy usage? Would that cause the smell?"
    If you overloaded the septic system you would have backups in the main.
    I still think your focus should be on the ejector system. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell from basement bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

We bought our house a year ago. The basement was already finshed. In the basement bathroom there is a drain in the floor that would give off a sulphur smell. We would dump water down the drain every other day but the smell really never went completely away. About a month ago I noticed a sewage ...

Sewer smell in basement bathroom [ 24 Answers ]

I'm moving in a couple of months, but the house I'm renting right now has a really strong sewer smell coming from the shower drain, sink drain, and the drain for the washing machine, all in the basement. It's worse when the washing machine is running, but you can smell it pretty much all the time....

Smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I live in a relatively new home and over the past few months I've noticed a mild sewage smell in my 2nd floor bathroom. The smell does not seem to be coming from anywhere in particular. I have noticed that on windy days the smell is more noticeable. The water drains fine in all cases....

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We have one bathroom in our house used by 4 people. Every once in a while, there is a strong sewage smell. It is intermittent, there is no certain time that it is present. I cannot pinpoint it to a certain drain or area in the bathroom. When the heat comes on, it is VERY strong when it is present...

Gross Basement Bathroom Smell [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We recently had a bathroom installed in our basement and it is smelling the house up completely. The sewer smell is coming from both the toilet and sink. What could it be? The color of the water is fine. The toilet seems to be flushing fine although sometimes I find that there is a lack of...

View more questions Search