it say write a decimal for fraction or mixed number
    questiom #1

- = what is the answer
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Dec 5, 2006, 08:49 PM
    http://home.avvanta.com/~math/fr_dec_pct.html
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Dec 5, 2006, 08:51 PM
    0.3; 3 divided by ten is 0.3 (zero point three). So Check: 0.3*10=3. Simple.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 08:57 PM
    I agree with worthbeads

3 / 10 is equal to 0.3

Dec 5, 2006, 09:12 PM
    This problem is too easy.

Dec 5, 2006, 09:16 PM
    This is someone's homework question. Probably a preteen. I just gave the website with fractions and decimals information because if they are not understanding this problem and they are doing a lot more like it, they might need some extra resources.

Dec 5, 2006, 09:22 PM
    EDITED: If it is in everyone's favor, I take back what I said.

Dec 5, 2006, 09:30 PM
    I don't know... brain fart maybe?

Dec 5, 2006, 09:31 PM
    What do you mean "I don't know"?

Dec 5, 2006, 09:34 PM
    I mean "I don't know" why they can't do this math equation, that is why I said they might just be having a brain fart. Its not my purpose to figure out why they are asking, but only to help.

Dec 5, 2006, 09:34 PM
    Okay, I see.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Dec 6, 2006, 06:22 AM
    To find the decimal value of a fraction you must actually do the division. So for 3/10 you must divide 3 by 10. (0.3)

For a mixed number you must do the division for just the fraction part and then add the whole part. So for 2 3/10 you do 3/10 and add 2 to that result. (2.3)
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2006, 06:26 AM
    As a teacher of a 5th grade class I feel I must input my thoughts on this. Yes this question might seem very easy to all of you. But for students who are just being introduced to the topic and are given homework to help review it might be quite difficult. Thank you Ashley for leading this student to a site that can help her better understand the topic rather then just giving her the answer.
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Oh and I applaud bianca for asking for help rather then just saying "I can't do it."
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2006, 06:32 AM
    I completely agree with Tuscany and was actually a little appalled by some of the attitudes in this thread towards someone trying to learn. Which, after all, is what we're all here for.
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Thank you Capuchin... We need to support students!

Dec 6, 2006, 03:05 PM
    Before you all point your fingers at me, look at it from my view. First, I never started anything. I said,"this is too easy." That is my opinion. Then, someone disagreed with me, which I am perfectly fine with. But, being the person I am, I defended my own views. Second of all, this question is too easy. Yes, it is good to refer to other websites for help. But this is rediculus. Something like this you should be able to explain to someone yourself. Third, have I not helped the child myself? Haven't I explained how to do this problem. Fourth, I did not have a bad attitude to the original asker. Fifth, I didn't just give the asker an answer, I explained how to do it.

Dec 7, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Well, am I correct? Your silence persuades me that no one has an argument. Does anyone have anything to say?
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Dec 7, 2006, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbeads
    First, I never started anything. I said,"this is too easy." That is my personal opinion.
    True, you did make the statement that it was too easy and you are more than entitled to your opinion. However, I must say two things about this.

First of all, text alone is a very difficult thing to use to convey intended emotions and feeling as there is no body language or tone of voice to go by. The meaning of those words, then, are often left up to the imagination of the reader. That makes word choice critical.

Secondly, we have to look at the context by which the statement was presented to all the people reading the thread. Someone posted a helpful website so that the student could have a resource for learning. Then you provided an answer with a brief explanation which was great. You even had another person agree with you.

Then the "too easy" bomb was dropped.

There it was all by itself. Very blunt.

As I read through the thread the first time, I put myself in the place of bianca and I felt that I was being called stupid in an indirect way.

Ashley took it that way too as she felt the need to explain why she responded the way she did.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleysb
    This is someone's homework question. Probably a preteen. I just gave the website with fractions and decimals information because if they are not understanding this problem and they are doing a lot more like it, they might need some extra resources.
    The context of this made it appear somewhat mean.

Imagine having started it this way...

Oh, this is a simple problem, all you have to do is...

Second of all, this question is too easy. Yes, it is good to refer to other websites for help. But this is rediculus. Something like this you should be able to explain to someone yourself.
    Remember that not everyone who visits this site is at the same level in their education and not everyone is good at math. Maybe bianca was gone from school that day and didn't receive the explanation from her teacher. Maybe she was just trying to make up her missed assignment. Who knows?

This may have been very easy for you. I even felt that ashleysb's feelings could have been hurt.

She does a great job referring them to a site for help. For all we know she is quite young herself and does not have super sweet depth of the subject matter to explain it effectively. She did her best to help and should be applauded not called ridiculous because she did not explain it herself.

ashleysb said it very well...
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleysb
    Its not my purpose to figure out why they are asking, but only to help.
    GREAT JOB BY THE WAY, ASHLEY!

Third, have I not helped the child myself? Haven't I explained how to do this problem.
    Yes, you did help, but you may very well have hurt as well. Statements like those (taken out of context or not) can be very damaging to young children.

Fourth, I did not have a bad attitude to the original asker.
    Perhaps not intentional but easily viewed/read that way.

Fifth, I didn't just give the asker an answer, I explained how to do it.
    Yes, and you should have left it at that.

All in all, thank you for helping but perhaps it would be a good idea to consider word choice and how others may read your post prior to typing out those opinions that you are entitled to.

Dec 7, 2006, 08:48 PM
    Yes, I will have to agree with you there. I admit I went a little far with "this is too easy". But the problem here is, as you said, emotions aren't clearly viewed through text. My intensions were never to hurt anyone's feelings. But if anyone interpreted this incorrectly, nothing besides the first answer I gave was toward the original asker. And also, I hate to sound aggressively defensive, but when ashleysb said, "Its not my purpose to figure out why they are asking, but only to help", I really don't know where that came from. I didn't ask why the asker was asking. I am not exactly sure what I said, but I was trying to get a point across, not to cause grief, even though that is what ultimately happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating pi to n decimal places [ 5 Answers ]

Suppose your goal is to calculate (not look up) a value of pi that is accurate to n decimal places. Suppose n were 10. How would you do it?

Pi by recursive decimal places [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is a way to calculate pi by using the current last decimal place to calculate the next decimal place. I already made a formula for pi that I posted on another board, but someone suggested I copy here. ---Begin quote--- This doesn't really fit anywhere so I'm just...

View more questions Search