Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tornoc14 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 08:44 AM
    Socializing Senior Dogs?
    I have 2 dachshunds that are 10 years old and 12 years old, and I want to integrate a lab puppy into the house in about 2 months. We recently went to a lab rescue to try to find a lab there that would fit our home. During a home visit, a lab was brought to see how our dogs would react to the new guest. When each of the dogs were by themselves, they treated the lab that visited pretty well. Lots of barking, but were somewhat calm when they were next to each other. However, when both of the dogs were next to the lab it was a different story they might have both been ganging up on the lab and my 12-year old snapped at the lab. They told us that with our household (Dogs have been living here for 8 years) that integrating an adult lab would be difficult, and that getting a puppy that was around the same size of the dachshunds would be a better idea.

I was thinking about doing more socializing with my dogs, but I didn't know where to begin. I've read that after the initial 5 weeks to 3 month mark is when the best socializing period is with a dog, and I have read about the difficulties with 2-6 year olds but not with a senior dog. Ive also considered introducing the puppy VERY slowly to them one by one, using leashes and such to have full control of the situation. Is their anything else I can do? (Don't really have A lot of time to do an obedience course, and also don't know how much that will help)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 5, 2010, 10:12 AM

Start socializing your older dog with other dogs by taking him to a place where he can watch other dogs from a distance without having to interact with them. As soon as another dog comes into sight, offer your dog a treat and continue to give him treats as long as the other dog is in view.

If he barks and refuses the treat, stop and move further away, you are too close to the other dog. Repeat the process moving a little bit closer to other dogs every time, continually praising and rewarding your dog when he is quiet and offers non-reactive behavior.

Make sure to reward only positive behavior, and do not punish the bad behavior, just correct it by either walking away or gaining his attention other ways.

If you will be keeping them on leashed, make sure to keep a slack leash. A tight leash will only feed to their tension. A lot of dogs are actually leash aggressive, but in actuality they are only feeding off the negativity they feel from their owners.

Make sure to let your dogs approach the new dogs on their own time. No coaxing or bribing. Do not react if they cower or hide, stay calm and act like it's no big deal. When you are clam and level headed, your dogs will pick up on that positive energy.

It is good to expose your dog to different circumstances such as the dog park, or other public places where dogs are allowed. This will help him build up confidence.

I see that you mention that you don't have time for obedience classes... would you have time for a puppy who needs to be socialized with more than just older dogs? Would you have time for a puppy in general? What about the time it would take for you to get your dogs used to the idea of having another pup or even older dog around?

May 5, 2010, 10:20 AM

Its just this time of the year, not just saying in long run. We are going to very on top of the socialization of the puppy and all of the classes. Just because of school and such, it is a little difficult to find times that would work. I live with my parents and 3 other college aged guys, its just inconvenient right this second for the older dogs. I will most likely start doing obedience classes once I am done with school with the older dogs.

I read previous posts about the dog park, and was definitely going to try that. Walks are kind of hard because they will only go so far... Also the reason I'm getting a larger dog.
    Dogs Expert

May 5, 2010, 10:26 AM

Do you have a car? You could always drive them to the dog park or public places.

May 5, 2010, 11:18 AM

Yea, that is exactly what I was going to do. I just didn't know exactly how effective it would be to do that. One of the dogs has cataracts and is about to go through surgery in order to fix it ( Can't see very far, and seems to bark at nothing) but I'll definitely try that.

Is their anything else I should try to do in order to get these dogs ready for the puppy?
    Dogs Expert

May 5, 2010, 11:26 AM

To be honest, I don't think this is the right time to get a puppy. |t will be very stressful on the older dogs, and with him getting surgery and than introducing a puppy to the mix, is really only asking for trouble.

It goes beyond socializing now. You have two very territorial older dogs, and introducing a new member, while you are at school and on a tight schedule as it is, doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Sorry, but I am only being honest.

May 5, 2010, 11:34 AM

Its perfectly fine, if I was so hard-headed why would I be asking for advice from you guys? :P

I meant to say that I was just doing school right now, and the reason that I was aiming for a puppy during June/July was because I would be at home to do my best literally all day long time September and even then there is always someone home for them. I might be over-exaggerating the territorial part, because I only thought they felt threatened because all of the attention when one of them snapped was on the lab so jealousy was definitely an issue. (Jealousy won't be an issue from this puppy, I learned my lesson from that)

It mostly isn't my decision on whether to get the puppy, I'm just trying my hardest to make this the "perfect" environment for the dog.
    Dogs Expert

May 5, 2010, 11:46 AM

So I am assuming that it is your parents decision?

Ok, with your older dog getting surgery on his eyes, and than bringing in a new dog is going to be very frightening and stressful for him.

I hope they will wait until the older dog has had the surgery and fully healed before bringing in a new dog.

With things like aggression and territorial issues there is no one way to say if the older dogs will ever get over it. All you can do is learn what triggers them and help them get through it. My original post is a great way to start with socializing (in my opinion).

One of the reasons for aggressive behavior in dogs is that they want to establish dominance. And if you are lucky and end up with a lab with a wonderful temperament he may take them as boss, and even put up with their "moments" but a dog who isn't socialized properly almost always ends up with aggression issues, and he may end up snapping at either the other smaller dogs or at a human.

So if they do decide to get a puppy, I hope they will consider enrolling them in a puppy socialization class of some sort.

Dogs often consider their home and family as a possession, and they will protect them all fiercely. This is how the two older dogs will feel with a new member. And the only way you can get them ready for a new addition will be to socialize them in any possible way. Dog park, friends or family with dogs, obedience classes, manners classes, public parks etc...

May 5, 2010, 12:09 PM

We are actually going to wait a little bit longer for the surgery on one of the older dogs, and yes you are correct on the decision making. I am most definitely going to enroll the new dog in all of the classes, I feel that I made a mistake not doing that with my current dogs (both from rescue) and I didn't socialize them through classes or dog parks, just walking and friends with dogs.

Thank you so much for everything you said, I'm pretty confident that this will work out fine. Just natural instinct to be worried about an others life!
    Dogs Expert

May 5, 2010, 04:41 PM

Hey, I commend you on the rescues. I know it isn't your decision, and I am glad you are looking for help and ideas. We are all here to help you. If you need to know anything else just ask. If you want us to get specific on certain things, just ask!
    Best of luck, oh yes, now we discuss the fee... we demand pictures, lots of pictures. :D

May 5, 2010, 06:39 PM

I will be posting pics as soon as I can, babies should be born on Saturday. I'll be posting as soon as I receive, thank you for everything!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Conflicted between socializing or not [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone, here's my situation. Im 20 years old, a student and I'm not exactly a social butterfly. I never had much friends and I don't talk that much. I prefer doing things alone but at the same time I get very sad cause I'm lonely and when doing things alone I don't really feel comfortable...

How to encourage socializing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi... My cutiee is 22 months old and she goes to playschool... my problem is she is not able to play with other kids there and she does not want to mingle with anybody... She speaks very well combining 4 to 5 words and forms sentences... at home she will be speaking 24 x 7 but when she enters...

Socializing older dogs [ 1 Answers ]

We have three wonderful dogs and recently agreed to foster two Shelties for our veterinarian. The dogs are 3 years and 10 months old and were never socialized (puppy mill). The older dog will allow us to touch her, but her son (younger dog) runs from us and avoids us at all cost. They get along...

Socializing kitten [ 3 Answers ]

I'm needing advice in how to help a kitten socialize, allow to be touched without growling and also to get used to the other cats in the house. I adopted a 11 month old kitten who used to be friendly then had to be left alone due to the owner developing allergies. The kitten became sort of feral...

Socializing a Maltese [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a 1 year old Maltese male. He is very shy and skiddish. How do I train him to come to me? He doesn't let me out of his sight but I have to catch him instead of him following my command.

View more questions Search