Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patti5550 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 06:46 AM
    Can a person who is on unemployment try to start a new business, and keep unemploymen
    I am currently on unemployment. If I become part owner in a business, will I be able to stay on unemployment until the new business takes off?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 5, 2010, 06:51 AM

Hello p:

You must be actively seeking work. If you'd only be seeking work in order to qualify for benefits, but you really don't plan to take a job, then you are not eligible for benefits.

excon

May 5, 2010, 07:08 AM

Thank you, ex. I am actively seeking work while on unemployment. However, I may be looking to get into a part-time work situation with my dad to do small concrete jobs. If it works out, certainly I will stop seeking unemployment, but in the meantime need the benefits to stay afloat while trying to get something going, find another job, whatever happens.

May 5, 2010, 07:30 AM

Thank you, ex. However, to further clarify my dilema, I am actively seeking work while on unemployment. However, I may be looking to get into a part-time work situation with my dad to do small concrete jobs. If it works out, certainly I will stop seeking unemployment, but in the meantime need the benefits to stay afloat while trying to get something going, find another job, whatever happens.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 5, 2010, 07:32 AM

Hello again, patti:

No need to explain to me. I just told you what the law is. I started a successful company in 1991 while living on un-employment.

It's true. I broke the rules... But, it IS insurance, and I PAID for my coverage. In addition, the benefits are TAXABLE income. Plus, my company contributed MORE to the economy than I would have, had I simply found a JOB.

I'm NOT recommending that YOU break the rules. I'm just saying what I did.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I start looking for grants to start up construction business in Mn. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello,I am John and I would appreciate any help I could get on finding some grants or low interest loans for starting a concrete contracting business.I have searched some sites but most want money for a kit.My credit is not very good and I am just trying to start a small construction business.I am...

Iwish to start a business but I don't have strong finincial baground for business [ 5 Answers ]

I am willing to start a business but I don't have strong baground of business famally or good finiancial support so what kind of business I do need to start I am mba(marketing) post graduate with 4 year of experience and currently working as a erp cunsultant but becase of recesssion my salary is...

Person refuses to pay their bill from my business, what can I do? [ 4 Answers ]

A client refuses to pay their bill to me, what are my legal rights?

Take over trucking business with established authority or start new business? [ 1 Answers ]

Starting a trucking business but have opportunity to take over trucking business with established authority mc dot #s and clean record or should I start new business with new authority dot mc #s. Any advantages to taking over established? And is it worth $2000? Thanks

If a Business Is Operated by Only One Person, Can It Be Incorporated? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, All! The title is my main question. Further, I have a number of small businesses that I operate. Can anyone of them be incorporated or maybe even all of them as a group? Does it matter the type of business that one of them might be? I'm really naïve in this particular area, but I do know...

View more questions Search