Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jolob Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 04:57 AM
    Interior painting - what type of primer do I use?
    What type of primer should I use on a house interior? The house was built in 1964. I'm not sure if the existing paint is oil based or water based. I plan on using latex paint.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 05:36 AM

If u have any scraping to do test for lead. Paint before 1972 was made with lead in it and can be detrimental to your health. If u do use a lead encapsulating primer. Wear a respirator and set room up for negative air.

If u don't any good quality latex primer will work fine.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know what to charge for interior painting and drywall finishing and painting [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what to charge per square foot to prime and to finish coat new drywall? I am bidding to paint interior walls and ceilings in a new house. One coat primer and one coat finish. Both coats will be sprayed and backrolled. What is an average rate to charge per foot for each coat?

Interior Painting [ 1 Answers ]

How much should I charge per hour to do interior painting in Hendricks County, Indiana?

Interior painting [ 1 Answers ]

How much should I charge per square footage for a masters bedroom with cathedral ceilings, including masters bath with separate vanity area?

When to apply primer, type of primer, and texturing [ 2 Answers ]

Question 1: I have new sheetrock installed and I want to know when to apply primer. Do I apply primer before I texture, after I texture, or before and after texturing? I've heard different things from different people. Question 2: Should I use a water based or oil based primer. I'm going...

Correct type of exterior primer and paint? [ 3 Answers ]

We've had 3-4 estimates for exterior painting, but I have decided to do it myself. All the estimates specified (after prep work) applying one coat of oil-based primer and one coat of latex paint. Why would they use oil-based primer under latex paint? I assume the existing paint is oil-based,...

View more questions Search