Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    galeyd Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2010, 10:51 AM
    1999 Ford Taurus Wagon won't shift into park from drive
    I drive a 1999 Ford Taurus Wagon with automatic transmission. This past year in the summer months only sometimes my car would over-rev as I went from first gear into 2nd or from drive into a passing gear up a hill or passing another vehicle. If I let up slightly on the gas it would immediately correct itself by shifting up or down as it was trying to do. This problem did not occur in the winter months at all. A couple of weeks ago I noticed the gear shifter seemed a little tight when shifting from park to drive but it wasn't frequent nor did it last past that moment, so I didn't think much of it and of course promptly forgot about it. Last night I pulled into my driveway and tried to shift from drive into park. It wouldn't budge, although I could go from drive to 1st and 1st to drive, I couldn't get the shifter up into neutral or past at all. I'm stuck, literally, and wonder if anybody has a suggestion? (other than yes tomorrow I will call the mechanic :( )
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 12:10 PM

Check the BOO Switch and all fuses, as described in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1838065

If the problem persists, check the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS)--it may be out of adjustment or it may be bad.
    galeyd Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2010, 07:29 PM

Thank you, I'm hoping it's not my transmission. I'll look into that and if your suggestions aren't the answer at least when I talk to the mechanic I can sound like I sort of know what I'm talking about! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 ford taurus won't shift into gear [ 8 Answers ]

The car will not go into gear, the auto shift lever feels different and has no resistance. It is my nephews car and I have not seen it so I am using his info. Does the car have mechanical linkage to trany or is it electric? Is it possibly just an electrical problem or do we have a smoked...

Ford taurus won't shift into Park [ 4 Answers ]

I drive a 1996 Ford Taurus. My car won't shift into Park. The shifter bar will go into the park position, but the car acts as if it is in reverse. For me to park my car I have to put it into Neutral, put the E-break on. Turn car off, move the shifter bar into park position, and remove my key....

1999 Ford Taurus [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Ford Taurus V6 Vulcan, and I just installed a car stereo or car deck and when I flip the ignition backwards or key the car stereo does not turn on and I would like to know what's going on, its not any fuses cause I looked at them. Can anyone help me out here thanks. THanks

View more questions Search