Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needhelpinca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2010, 07:17 PM
    Need help with parantage by estoppel in ca?
    I was with my ex for 14yrs we separated in 2006 custody of our children went back and forth he knew he was not our oldest childest who is now 14father but never questioned it. Our other child was adopted and is now 12, now he wants nothing to do with our oldest child so he won't have to pay child support but wants to retain 50/50 custody of our adopted child. He paid support for 6mos with no problems till I asked for a modification and it got increased by the child support services. I need help
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 07:38 PM

Generally estoppel is an act or statement that prevents a person from later making claims to the contrary.

You may invoke estoppel if he has ever held himself out as the child's natural father knowing he is not.
    Did he acknowledge his paternity in written?
    Was the child born in your marriage?

"A line of cases holds that the conduct of a husband with no biological ties to a child may nonetheless estop the husband from avoiding parental responsibilities even after the husband’s marriage to the child’s mother is dissolved.”/In re Marriage of Freeman, supra, 45 Cal.App.4th at page 1447./

In discussing the elements of parentage by estoppel, Justice Tobriner in the Clevenger court stated that if the facts should show “that the husband represented to the boy that he was his father, that the husband intended that his representation be accepted and acted upon by the child, that the child relied upon the representation and treated the
    husband as his father and gave his love and affection to him, that the child was ignorant of the true facts, we would have the foundation of the elements of estoppel.”/Clevenger v. Clevenger, supra, 189 Cal.App.2d at page 671./
    needhelpinca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2010, 07:32 AM

We were never married he signed her birth certificate I'm aware of the cleavenger case but he hired a lawyer and they brought up arazaga case in san diego 20007 that is their argument he is saying he never knew she was not his child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parentage by estoppel or de facto [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old daughter who my soon to be ex husband is all of a sudden stating is not his because he doesn't want to pay support. Ex came into our lives when she was 9 months old. Has taken over the fatherhood role since this time (she has never met her bio dad even though she knows he...

Consideration and promissory estoppel [ 1 Answers ]

Many legal experts say that consideration is unnecessary in the formation of a valid contract. How do I critically analyze this view while including the doctrine of promissory estoppel and not confining my answer to this doctrine?

View more questions Search