Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maani Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Apr 28, 2010, 10:40 AM
    My 2year old minidashhound on heat the male just turned 2years on the 25th April 2010
    Please I need help my mini dashhound on heat she is 2years old and the male just turned 2years on the 25th April 2010, need help on how long does everything take till the babies will be born!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2010, 11:28 AM

I think we need to back up a bit here.

Gestation period is the least of your worries.

There is a lot more to breeding dogs than people think, it isn't a case of having 2 'cute' dogs and making babies.

First thing you need to do (and this is the most important) is to get both dogs health tested... now this doesn't just mean a vet check to make sure they are healthy, I'm talking about proper genetic testing for hereditary and genetic diseases and disorders.

PRA testing, hip scores, patella checks, etc etc etc, it is a long and expensive process.

Next thing you need to consider is the conformation of your dogs.
    Here is the breed standard for dachshunds:
    American Kennel Club - Dachshund

Don't think the breed standard is important?
    Think it is only for people who show dogs?

Think again.

If people didn't follow the breed standard then it could only take a few generations for a Doxie to no longer look like a Doxie.

I prefer that breeders show their dogs, it isn't always necessary but by showing your dog in AKC dog shows you are putting your dog up for judgement by others... that way you can't be 'kennel blind' which basically means you are unable to see the faults in your dog because they are so close to you.

Next is the home the puppies will have.
    Your Doxie may have 6, 8, even 10 puppies so you need to have homes lined up before you even think about breeder her.
    And they need to be GOOD homes.
    You need to have a contract drawn up for the potential owners to sign so that if anything should happen the dog comes back to you and is not dumped in a shelter or rehomed. You also need to have a spay/neuter contract.

Before you breed you also need to extensively research the pregnancy and whelping process.
    This is where a breed mentor comes in handy, a breed mentor is someone who has owned your breed for a long time and has bred litters before themselves. They can tell you everything you need to know about your breed and before having a litter of your own you should witness first hand at least one litter being born and assist with delivery.

I will not write anymore unless you would like more information as there would literally be pages upon pages of information.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 07:28 PM

Please. Spay your dog. People breeding dogs with health issues such as Daschunds without health testing extensively have no place.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 28, 2010, 08:47 PM

So, you've already decided that you're going to breed your dogs and hope everything turns out OK? What are you going to do if she has problems while she pregnant or delivering? What if one or more of the babies have problems? Are you going to get your male fixed, or section him off in another part of the house, when she goes into her puppy-heat about a month or so after the babies are born (if you don't, and she gets pregnant, her milk will dry up and you'll have to bottle-feed the babies for the next few weeks)? What do you plan on doing with the babies? Can you afford to get them all vetted before they go off to homes? Do you plan on breeding your poor dog every time she goes into heat?

Apr 29, 2010, 10:36 AM
    :confused:Sorry but lets just get one thing straight I am not a breeder but would like Babalou to have a litter before she get spaded, and for your other concern Maani would be living with my daughter when its time for the babies to be born found a vet that would help me if there is any complications with the birth, I am a responsible 49year old woman won't put my babies in danger so please don't sutter about my?? I'm not stupid! Kind regards magdalena:rolleyes:
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maani View Post
    im not stupid!
    When you write "how long does everything take till the babies will be born," that makes us wonder how smart you really are and how well you've thought this through. Please show your dog you love her and get her spayed (the correct spelling for that word).

Apr 29, 2010, 11:05 AM
    So don't you make spelling mistakes hmm get a life and grow up for I have not breed before got her from people that did not want her, go to petizens and go and see what my dogs look like then come and preech to me again please thank you and God bless have a wonderful evening!!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 11:18 AM
    :confused:Sorry but lets just get one thing straight i am not a breeder but would like Babalou to have a litter before she get spaded, and for your other concern Maani would be living with my daughter when its time for the babies to be born found a vet that would help me if there is any complications with the birth, i am a responsable 49year old woman wont put my babies in danger so please dont sutter about my ???? im not stupid! Kind regards magdalena:rolleyes:
    You have a vet lined up (Do your dogs not already have a vet?), but you are asking a website about gestation? This would be a very basic question for your vet and his/her staff, as well as, any research material you looked at before deciding to breed your 'babies'.

Something isn't adding up.

Please, look into genetic disorders that are prevalent in dachshunds and have them tested before you actually breed them. Also, research possible whelping complications. It may give you greater insight into why you are getting the advice you are receiving.

Apr 29, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Stop being so rude!!
    I have my kids vetcards availlable if you would like to inspect them to see if they arewell looked after or not and they are healthy with no problems as I said before this is my first time Maani is my male and I got Babalou from people that did not want her so please do not judge me for asking questionsbecause it is only stupid peoplle that do not ask questions or help thank you kindly for your rude comments but blessed be and have a blessed evening Magdalena van zyl South Africa!!
    Experts

Apr 29, 2010, 11:38 AM
    So dont you make spelling mistakes hmm get a life and grow up for i have not breed before got her from people that did not want her, go to petizens and go and see what my dogs look like then come and preech to me again please thank you and God bless have a wonderfull evening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please use punctuation. It's hard to read a post that doesn't have any.

What does knowing what your dogs look like have to do with anything? They can be the cutest dogs in the world and still have genetic disorders that could be passed down to babies.

The fact that you know NOTHING about breeding means you shouldn't try it. If she never has a litter, her life is not going to be less happy. You haven't even done enough research to find out the canine gestation period, which can be find in under a minute by doing a simple Google search.

You're not going to get any sympathy from anyone on here. You want to breed two animals without knowing what you're doing, and for purely nonsensical reasons.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2010, 11:39 AM

What? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Your CHILDREN have VET cards? What?

Apr 29, 2010, 11:46 AM

That's why I am asking for help because it is only stupid people that don't ask questions!! Now let it be will get help in my own country thanks anyway for nothing.Kind regards magdalena
    Experts

Apr 29, 2010, 11:50 AM

She's mad because several people told her that she needs to have her dogs genetically tested before even thinking about breeding them. She admits to knowing nothing about breeding, and wants us to tell her everything without doing any research herself.

Apr 29, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Lmfao I am not mad just dissapointed in people like you, that can't answer a question properly, but thanks any way for the help so far will go Google search now and find out what I want to know have a good evening and God bless!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 12:00 PM
    Lmfao i am not mad just dissapointed in people like you, that can't answer a question properly, but thanks any way for the help so far will go Google search now and find out what i want to know have a good evening and God bless!
    Please keep the dogs apart until you have learned what you need to know about breeding them. Just because dogs can mate doesn't mean they should. And having puppies can kill the mother.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 12:05 PM
    Lmfao i am not mad just dissapointed in people like you, that can't answer a question properly, but thanks any way for the help so far will go Google search now and find out what i want to know have a good evening and God bless!
    Maybe these will help you:
    Why Breeding Dachshunds?
    Willowridge-Farm Dachshunds
    Dachshund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 04:00 PM

Why do you want your dog to have one litter before she is SPAYED?
    Is it because you want to increase her chances of getting mammary cancer when she's older? Because that's all it will do.

I hope you have money saved up for this. C-sections are not cheap and daschunds regularly need them.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 04:17 PM
    It's been said, but I am afraid you are not going to get sympathy here.

Breeding is more work, time and money than most people think. I am torn between telling you the information asked, only for the well being of the dogs and puppies involved and telling you what already has been said by others.

I feel that whether you find the information you are looking for, you will still go ahead as planned. You know you seem to be very set, so please for the well fare of those animals go and find a breeding mentor, go to the library pick up some books on the subject (while you are at it, take a look of the statistics of un wanted, abandoned, shelter bound dogs AND cats that die every year because of neglectful pet owners each year!), at you library they may have videos on whelping, what to expect, cost (because breeders hardly EVER make a profit off their litters), also you will have to have an extra savings of cash on hand in case of c section. This breed is very likely to have complications during birth.

Do you have homes lines up for these pups? What will you do if you have 3 or 4 pups left over?

I hope that you will re consider what you are going to be doing. Be happy with the healthy pups you have.

Pregnancy & Whelping Breeding Dachshunds

HSUS Pet Overpopulation Estimates : The Humane Society of the United States

This is a quote from statistics in South Africa:

"Every year, roughly 5 million healthy, adoptable, dogs and cats are killed in shelters across the country because they could not find a home".

portland imc - 2010.04.19 - Operation Chi Lift: Time for a No Kill Nation
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 04:37 PM
    We're not being mean, we're telling you what you need to do before you breed your dogs. Shazzy's info was dead on. If you don't want the health of your dogs and the potential puppies to be put in jeopardy then you have to make sure that you follow the correct guidelines before breeding.

Do you know how many "purebred" dogs get put to sleep every year in shelters? I could go to my shelter right now and find an adorable dachshund, it may even have papers, doesn't mean it's breeding quality.

You can love your pets, think they're the cutest, best behaved, most wonderful dogs in the world. We all feel that way about our animals, that doesn't mean they should be bred.

Without doing the proper testing and taking the proper precautions, or learning everything about breeding, you are at best a backyard breeder, which means you're the worst of the worst in the breeding world.

I know many people believe that every dog should have a litter before being spayed. That's a myth. I also know many people breed their dogs because they want to witness the miracle of life. There's another end to that story, and that's death.

Chances are, if you breed your dog, at least one of the pups will end up in the shelter, possibly euthanized.

Want to breed? Spend a day in the kill room at your local shelter. I've been there. I was the one that petted the dogs while the needle went in and their lives were ended because of the greed of one person, the need of one person to breed their dog.

You're not doing your dog or any other dogs a favor by breeding. Trust me, there are many legitimate dachshund breeders out there, you don't need to add to the mix.

I know you'll be mad at my post, but I speak the truth. If you read my words with an open mind and an open heart, maybe you'll realize that we're on the dogs side, which is why you're mad. Your wants don't concern me. Your dogs life and the life of her potential puppies, that's what concerns me. You see, I've done my research and what you're doing is wrong.

Get your dogs fixed. Do them and every dog out there a favor. Leave the breeding to those that are qualified to do it.

Good luck.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2010, 09:18 PM

maani, please read through these posts carefully.

No-one is saying you are stupid, we just want to make sure you have all the info you need before thinking about breeding.

I know one litter is just "one litter" but you have to remember , that you are responsible for the lives and health of those puppies.

The health testing I mentioned is very important. In any breed of dog, purebred or mutt there is a chance of genetic disorders being passed on to the puppies.
    These days we are lucky to be able to test for these problem in the parents before we breed.

I really do hope you come back, because if you are dead set on breeding your dog I would like to help make sure you do it properly and responsibly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is this? [April 28 2010] [ 79 Answers ]

What is it?

What is this? [April 27 2010] [ 8 Answers ]

I tested this one on V, apparently it's a hard one. What is it?

What is this? [april 25 2010] [ 13 Answers ]

Remember this game? Guess what it is!

I want to travel to fiji in April 2010 but my passport expires August 2010 is this OK [ 1 Answers ]

I want to travel to fiji in April 2010 but my passport expires August 2010 is this OK

View more questions Search