Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomas_1407 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2010, 06:42 AM
    My dog poops in the house
    I recently rescued an 8 year old terrier mix who probably was in a puppy mill all of her life. I just learned that she has cataracts. I let her outside 2 times in the morning, at lunch, before dinner, and after, and before bedtime. She will not poop outside. I stay outside with her, and sometimes leave her to herself. She does not poop outside but poops on the hallway carpet when I'm not home. I've picked up the carpet and she finds another carpet instead. I don't punish her but am getting frustrated.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 06:50 AM

It sounds like you're going to be starting at square one with training her. If you can catch her in the act, try to distract her so she doesn't go in the house. Bring her immediately outside. Bring treats with you. If she does go outside make sure you give her a treat right away and lots of praise.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 06:50 AM

Well first I wan to commend you for choosing rescue, especially one from a puppy mill.

The sad truth is, is she may always have house breaking issues. You have to remember where she came from and imagine her living environment. She was allowed to eliminate where ever she felt necessary.

With that being said, it may take more time to get her used to going out side. You have to treat her like a puppy, in the sense that she doesn't know what the acceptable behavior you are expecting from her is yet.

Be persistent, and consistent. I wouldn't recommend using pee pads, that will only lead to more confusion. When you are away you may want to consider barricading her or kenneling her. How long have you had her? And how long would you say you are staying out side with her? Are you taking her out as soon as she is done eating?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 06:53 AM

Aurora Bell is right. If you keep her in an enclosed area, like a crate, when you're away she will be less likely to go in the house because dogs don't like to sleep where they go potty. If you decided on crate training make sure she knows that her crate is her happy place and not punishment. Give her toys and treats when she goes in her crate if you decided to do that.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2010, 07:52 AM

Honestly, if she was from a puppy mill odds are she is used to sleeping in her own feces.

It is going to be a long hard road but hopefully you will see some good results eventually. Just remember, 8 years of mistreatment and bad habits are going to be hard to break.

As much as I don't like them, if outside doesn't work would you consider using puppy pads or a litter box? It really depends on where she was kept in the mill but if she was permanently crated inside (as a lot of them are) then going outside just might not seem natural to her.

Edit - whoops just noticed Aurora said not to use pee pads. It depends on the individual dog as to whether they work. I actually have been using them with my puppy as it's hard to get him outside and he is finally starting to learn after nearly 3 months.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 08:32 AM

If she can't see properly, outside is going to seem a lot more scary to her. A lot of dogs won't go potty where they don't feel safe.

This may sound strange (along with training her as you would a puppy), can you set up a more enclosed area in the yard where you want her to potty? Maybe using privacy fencing or tarps to mimic walls.

Since the feel of the ground is also probably new to her, make sure you spend play time outside letting her get used to the feel of grass and dirt.

Congratulations on the new member of the family.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Apr 28, 2010, 08:32 AM

I would recommend exercise. It sounds like maybe she is off leash in the backyard when you let her out? Try taking her for a brisk long walk. This often will "move" them to go, even if they prefer not to. Congrats on your new family member!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2010, 09:31 AM

My rescue couldn't be housebroken until she became familiar with her surroundings, wasn't frightened to be outside. Before that she "pooped" only in safe, familiar places - like the house!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Old dog poops inside house even right after been let outside [ 7 Answers ]

My 16 year old border collie mix recently started to poop in the house... usually its right after he has been outside... He appears to want to go outside more often. I am home so that is possible. Is this old age syndrome.. or dementia? He can't hear well, and has cataracts, but otherwise is...

Dog poops in kennel [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've recently purchased a miniature dachchund and he is about 13 weeks now. When I am away I keep him in a kennel and 90% of the time he poops in his kennel when Im away. When Im here he does great and goes outside when I bring him. How can I get him to stop using the bathroom in his kennel?...

Dog Poops All Over When Left Alone [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 year old pure breed boxer (nutted). Whom if kenneled during the day is fine and does not do his business till I get home. I have recently tried letting him out while Im at work. Well that was a bad idea. Poo and pee all over. Why is that. Thanks for any input

Dog poops blood [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. My name is amanda.. I just bought a malshipoo puppy and I have noticed that for a few days, he had bright red blood in his stool.. is this a sign of worms? Please help! This is my first pet. Thank you!

Dog poops when alone [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 4 year old pointer mix, had her about a year. Normally we keep her in a kennel when we leave the house. A few times we didn't and twice she has gotten out of the kennel, and she always pees and poops. She never does this when we're home, and we are sure to let her out every morning before...

View more questions Search