Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JCOHLMIAS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 08:22 AM
    Cold water in hot lines. If I turn the hot water supply off, I still get cold water
    I recently purchased a rental house. I replaced the hot water heater and shut off valves. With the shutt-off in and out of the tack are closed, I still get cold water from the hot side of all faucets in the house. When valves are open, and temp. Set at very hot, I get semi-hot water.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 04:59 PM
    Hi Jcohlmias...

Sounds like a mixing valve cartridge has gone bad here...

Start by shutting all the hot water shutoffs under all the sinks with single handle faucets... then shut the cold water feed into the water heater. Now, run the water... still have the problem? If so, the issue is probably a cartridge at a shower valve which can't be isolated, but for now, let's assume that issue isn't at the shower valve and is at a faucet.

Start by opening one shutoff at a time... check the hot water each time. When you get cold water out the hot then you have found the valve with the issue. Hope that makes sense. The mixing cartridge would need to be replaced.

Try this.. let us know what you find...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain hot water tank before doing work on cold water supply line? [ 15 Answers ]

I need to install a vacuum relief valve on the cold water supply line for my hot water tank. I know where to install it but I was just wondering what I need to do before doing the work (obviously turn off the water to the house), but do I need turn off the power (its electric) to the hot water...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Hot water coming from cold side tap even though hot water supply shut off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I been having problem for past year now hot water comes from the cold side tap, I only have 1 tap that shares water hot and cold the other 2 I have are 2 separate hot cold and 2 are just cold taps now I have even shut the cold water supply to the hot water tank off, but yet when I run the...

Hot and cold water is somehow backwards in shower but water lines are correct [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed a new shower valve. I verified (many times) that I installed the hot and cold lines to the correct connections but when I turn the water on to "cold" hot water comes out and when turned to "hot" cold water comes out. I didn't see anything in the manual that indicated it's...

Yellow water from cold & hot water lines on city service [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a house that is ~30 years old. It has copper pipes. When I first noticed yellow water I flushed my hot water tank, but the water problems persists and it occurs even when I'm running cold water. There is some sediment in the water that looks like the iron content in well water,...

View more questions Search