Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drsherry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 09:44 AM
    How to sue a bank
    American express chose to pay a merchant $7450 for product I was lead to believe was for $750. The merchant didn't give me a receipt. This has gone on for almost 8 months. Once AMX paid the merchant, I have no connection to the merchant who concocted this fraud. My option is to sue AMX in small claims, but their designation is NOT corp, but a bank. Are there special governing rules for this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 10:22 AM

No, you sue in any Small Claims Court which has jurisdiction (an office in that jurisdiction on which process can be served).

There is no special format, there are no special rules.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drsherry View Post
    This has gone on for almost 8 months. Once AMX paid the merchant, I have no connection to the merchant who concocted this fraud.
    Hello d:

Couple things. Amex is usually very good at protecting their customers from fraud. Please tell me exactly WHAT happened during these 8 months. You don't need a receipt. Amex KNOWS how much you paid. Did you get the item? Did you send it back?

Now, to suing. You'll probably need to go to your secretary of state, or your corporation commission to find out who the designated agent is for Amex in your state. It's HIM that you serve.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 11:22 AM

This person is suing in Small Claims Court - in my area (at least) you don't serve the corporation or the State. You serve any office of the corporation.

Jurisdiction is with the Defendant - so it must be served locally.

Superior courts, different story.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    so it must be served locally.
    Hello again, Judy:

I don't disagree. However American Express doesn't have a local office here. Just in case they don't have one in the OP's jurisdiction, he'll have to serve the local registered agent. If there's an office in his city, he can probably serve 'em there. You'd know more about that than me, though.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello d:

Couple things. Amex is usually very good at protecting their customers from fraud. Please tell me exactly WHAT happened during these 8 months. You don't need a receipt. Amex KNOWS how much you paid. Did you get the item? Did you send it back?

excon
    I agree with this - the OP seems to be way ahead of himself with respect to suing Amex here.

To the OP: If your satement from Amex was in error due to this charge being misreported you have 60 days to contest the amount. I've done this several times and have never had a problem - even when I didn't have a receipt. But you must contest it within those 60 days, and Amex should then provide you with a written account of why the charge is still on your bill - did they do this? If the charge is actually legitimate, but you contend that the vendor used deceptive practices in getting you to buy the item, then you should be suing the vendor, not Amex.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue my bank? [ 13 Answers ]

I have 3 accounts at one bank. A checking account, a savings account and a joint account with my child's father. I had noticed about a year ago that I stopped getting my savings account statements. Upon investigating, I discovered that my savings account information was attached to the joint...

How to sue my bank [ 1 Answers ]

My bank paid checks that were issued with another persons name on it but had my account information printed on the bottom the payments were credited to their credit card company the banks insurance lawyer told me I waited to long to discover it they said it was up to me to collect from individual I...

Can I sue a bank? [ 69 Answers ]

Can I sue a bank for, what I consider to be, an unreasonable fee? My bank recently merged with another and I was charged a $40 dishonour fee when there where inadequate funds to pay a personal loan I have with the same bank. This fee did not exist with my original bank.

Can I sue my Bank? [ 4 Answers ]

I have had 2 issues with my bank concerning disclosure of personal information. The first was someone I knew calling asking if a check would clear and giving amounts fishing for a balance. The bank would say yes it would clear or no. The second is my ex-wife cashing her child support check...

View more questions Search