Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 11:36 PM
    How Do You Clean a Toilet Bowl That Seems Impossible to Clean?
    Hi, All!

Okay, I let my upstairs toilet get so bad that it now seems impossible to clean. I know, pretty revealing. But, I'm a guy with a really big home and I live by myself. We've tried the usual toilet bowl cleaners that people can find in grocery and home maintenance supply stores. Also, bleach.

Seems to be this reddish stuff stuck to the bottom.

Maybe some chemical reaction has taken place whereby it can't be cleaned?

Any way to get it out of there?

Thanks!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 12:34 AM

Have you tried kaboom? It comes in a purple jug type thing and neon green lid. I used it last time I cleaned my aunts house. It even got the boys toilet cleaned. All I had to do was pour a little in. then it foams up and I just let it sit and soak while I cleaned the rest of the house. Then I just had to come back and scrub a little.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 04:00 AM
    Hi Clough...

I have read a few articles over the years that suggest that a PUMICE STONE works great at removing particularly stubborn toilet stains. Check out an article on the subject here:

How to Clean a Toilet With Pumice Stone | eHow.com

A little COMET, BORAXO or other similar abrasive cleaner used with the pumice stone should make real short work of the stain.

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 23, 2010, 06:22 AM

I have seen bleach used with some success. Sponge out the bowl and fill it with bleach. Let it set overnight. Next morning scrub the bowl out with COMET, BORAXO or other similar abrasive cleaner. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 08:25 AM

Hi Clough, we've had exactly the same problem. Too many bathrooms in the house and couple of them got never used.

The best solution to keeping our toilets clean was ordinary Vinegar. ( Costco / 1.5 gln bottle for $3.59 ). Pour it in a spray bottle and spray it inside the bowl. Be generous. Spray it all over and under the rim. Don't do anything. No need to scrub. Don't flush. Just let it sit there. Do it every week or two. Your bowl will be sparkling clean.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 01:08 PM
    Very helpful information, guys! :)

So, how does a person really empty the toilet bowl all the way? Turn off water, then use a plunger..

Thanks!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 01:11 PM

Scoop up as much as you can with Styrofoam cup and then use old towel to remove remaining water... Or, use dry/wet Shop-Vac...
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 09:09 PM

I would try a toilet bowl cleaner with 15% acid and let it set overnight also. Repeat if necessary.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 10:18 PM
    Do you mean something like Muriatic Acid, Stringer?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 10:20 PM

Come on guys, the easiest way to empy a toilet bowl is with a big bucket of water.

Fill a household bucket with lots of water and dump rapidly into toilet.

Sponge the rest out or use a wet vac.

CLR is worth trying: ShopCLR.com - CLR - Calcium, Lime, & Rust Remover - 28 oz Home Depot sells it.

And the pumice stone/scotchbrite pad is also worthwhile.

And for laughs:

It doesn’t hurt to take a hard look at yourself from time to time, and this should help get you started. During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director what the criterion was which define whether a patient should be institutionalized.

“Well,” said the Director, “we fill up a bathtub, and then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the patient and ask him or her to empty the bathtub.”

“Oh, I understand,” said the visitor. “A normal person would use the bucket because it’s bigger than the spoon or the teacup.”

“No.” said the Director, “A normal person would pull the plug. Do you want a bed near the window?”
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    I have seen bleach used with some success. Sponge out the bowl and fill it with bleach. Let it set overnight. Next morning scrub the bowl out with COMET, BORAXO or other similar abrasive cleaner. Good luck, Tom
    The bleach would have had to be removed completely before scrubbing with something like Comet, wouldn't it, Tom?

I'm worried about the chemical combinations here creating something harmful to breath or touch.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water (clean) seeping out from under toilet. [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: We had our septic tank pumped around 4-5 months ago when this problem first happened. When we run the washer or take a shower, clean warm water seeps out from under the toilet. It's not a small amount, there could be anywhere from an inch to two standing in our bathroom before we can...

Difference between self clean and standard clean ovens [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm getting a new stove and when I read descriptions I see some that says self cleaning,standard cleaning or manual clean. Can you tell me what the difference is? Thank you!

Urine like smell from clean unclogged toilet, coming intermittently [ 3 Answers ]

I have a persistent smell coming from one of our often used toilets like stale urine, identified by one handyman as sewer gas smell. I have had the toilet bowl removed, the wax seal replaced, and the toilet bowl base caulked again, but the smell goes on, at times very strong, at other times faint....

Clean broken toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the best way to clean a broken toilet that is full of feces?

Toilet clean out modification [ 1 Answers ]

Renovating the bathroom. The crawl space reveals an 8" plastic c/o connected to the toilet flange, That empties into the main cast iron drain. Should I leave it this size? Or, modify to a common size. Thanks.

View more questions Search