Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 02:28 PM
    Divorce, relocation, and explaining it to child
    My husband told me this week that he would like to file for divorce. This is unexpected to me as I thought we were 'working' on our marriage. He is scheduled to move across the united states January 1 for a new position within his company and we have a 3 year old son together (he will be 4 in January). I don't know how to talk to my son about this. Should I focus more on the fact that my husband has to move away for his new job or that my husband and I are no longer going to be together? What do I say to him? He is a very sensitive child.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2006, 02:42 PM
    Divorce is never easy to explain to a child. Does your son already know that his Dad is relocating for the job? I would start there and explain that while his Dad is relocating, it does not mean that his Dad is abandoning him. Hopefully your husband will do all in his power and ability to keep his relationship with his son. To choose an opportunity like a job relocation to walk away from his family... I can understand some of the logic (clean break, etc.) but it still stinks.

Do you have someone you trust that you can talk to? Such as your pastor or a counselor? Either one or both can be helpful in making the transition - there are support groups with people who have had similar experiences that might lend you some insight into dealing with how to present the divorce to your son. Lying about the divorce is not right and blurting it out is not helpful either.

Should also add, please contact a lawyer, if you have not done so already. A lawyer can be your best ally. Good luck.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Dec 4, 2006, 02:50 PM
    The baby is three years old and does not have a total understanding of many social situations. Have the father of the child call daily so, that he can keep his voice on the child’s mind. Remember your husband is divorcing you not the child right? Make the necessary moves to keep the child involve with the father. Question has the father made arrangements (like child support) for his son? If, so good.

It is never a good idea for a parent to move so far away from the child. This action is never good for the child. Keep the dramas that are coming at a minimum and always keep in mind this matter of calm and positive responses doing this period is good for your mind and self esteem of the child and each other.

I am sorry about the divorce..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Relocation fees [ 5 Answers ]

I live in an apartment in San Pedro CA and the owner is in the process of selling the building. We agreed to take the offer to move "voluntarily" with the help of relocation money. I am under rent control and the escrow should close sometime between the 8th and the 12th of Dec. (a few days). We...

Divorce and unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband recently filed for divorce because he can not deal with the legal issues my first husband is putting us through. WE have a child that is due in December but he wants to give up his rights so I won't be in his life, but the catch is that he wants me to sign a consent decree stating that...

Relocation expenses [ 3 Answers ]

My firm reimbursed $3000 of relocation expenses, but some of those included meals, househunting trip expenses etc, which are not tax-deductible under the rules I seem to be reading online. However on my w-2 in box 12, the amount is $3000. When I'm figuring out the excess of what I was reimbursed...

View more questions Search