Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    ...different things to different people, and one of the big problems is that a group may take a word or phrase out of historic Christian teaching, ... to fit their own ideas. Then when we're talking with them it sounds like they're saying the same thing we are. But the reality is that they mean something quite different.

One of the many reasons language is my bag...
    Don't all Christian denominations do that very thing? "Historic" Christian teaching? Whose history?

Are you suggesting Mormons are not Christian? Just curious.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 10:38 PM

dwashbur,
    Yes redefine the meaning of some words causes lots of confusion and trouble.
    It happens in a lot of different beliefs.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 18, 2010, 10:38 PM
    When most Mormons say they believe Jesus is divine, they mean it in the same sense that they - at least the men - expect to become gods someday themselves. "Divine" means different things to different people, and one of the big problems is that a group may take a word or phrase out of historic Christian teaching, like "divine" and redefine it to fit their own ideas. Then when we're talking with them it sounds like they're saying the same thing we are. But the reality is that they mean something quite different.

One of the many reasons language is my bag...
    That particular belief (of becoming gods) has been re-explained, debated, and redefined so many times, just within the mormon church, that it's pretty much impossible to know which version and interpretation to believe. The way I always understood it, is that they don't expect to BECOME gods, just to spend eternity in the PRESENCE of god.

I know I'm probably taking this the wrong way, but you seem to be suggesting that the word 'divine' is purely christian in origin.
    Experts

Apr 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    dwashbur,
    Yes redefine the meaning of some words causes lots of confusion and trouble.
    It happens in a lot of different beliefs.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    It's not even a purely religious phenomenon. Words get redefined all the time.

Gay - happy --> homosexual
    Queer - weird --> homosexual
    Fag - cigarette -->homosexual
    Handsome woman - attractive --> manly
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 10:50 PM

hheath541,
    The Mormon missionaries that come to my door DO believe that they will become gods.
    They believe that God was once a man who became God. They say... "As man is God once was. As god is man can be."
    I have talked with them a lot.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Experts

Apr 18, 2010, 10:57 PM

Maybe it's something I simply never privy to, not being male. Or maybe it's something I simply ignored and never filed away, or misunderstood. Don't know. A lot of the finer details and foibles I am just unfamiliar with because it's been so long since I heard them, or I just never did.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2010, 11:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fallen2grace View Post
    I'm a Christian and I have a Mormon friend. I started asking him about his religion because I was curious as to what they believe. He told me that they have this other book that they added to the Bible. (The book of Mormon) Now, I think that's wrong to do, but I was still curious as to what was in it. So I asked him if I could see it.

He brought it to me and I took it home. I read the intro to it and thought it was weird. I told my mom about it and she freaked out saying I shouldn't be reading it.

So my question to other Christians is this: Is it okay to read other religious books other than the Bible, just because you want to know what's different about it? I have no intention on believing anything in that book, because I know what I believe.
    I would suggest to you that you think very seriously before you read books or literature published by sects that add to the Bible. Is there any difference between the Koran or the Book of Morman, both offer a completely different intrepretion of Scripture.

The difference between Christian belief and the Mormoms or the JW is that Christians believe Jesus Christ is God and we believe this on the testimony of Jesus Christ himself, where as these others believe Jesus Christ is a lesser God or even an angel. Each seeks and expects a different reward
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2010, 05:57 AM
    classyT,
    Some Mormons believe that Jesus is not God but some do.
    Some believe that Jesus is Adam reborn.
    So it goes.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    I know... it isn't what the Bible teaches at all. And these young men that go door to door are so sincere and sweet. Good, good people But I believe they are being deceived. I'd hate to be Joseph Smith standing at the Great White Throne Judgement... he's got some serious splaining to do.
    To answer the OP:
    There is nothing in the world wrong with being informed about another religion. I believe it can help in witnessing. My concern would be if someone wasn't grounded in their Christian faith, they could become like the man that James speaks about in the NT. He is tossed and turned by every doctrine that comes along. I know someone like that. She was a mormon, then she decided she was a born again Christian and now she is a Universalist. Only the Lord knows her heart. Stand for something.. or you will fall for anything...
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2010, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Don't all Christian denominations do that very thing? "Historic" Christian teaching? Whose history?
    I confess I'm not sure how to answer that. Historic Christianity is just that, Christian teaching that has come down from the New Testament onwards. It includes things like the trinity of God, the deity of Jesus as a full part of the godhead, salvation by grace brought about through his death and resurrection, that sort of thing.

Are you suggesting Mormons are not Christian? Just curious.
    To quote a new friend of mine, good grief. Where exactly did I say that? I went to great lengths to avoid such ideas, yet somehow you managed to read it into my words anyway. I give up.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Apr 19, 2010, 05:09 PM

Just to throw another question out there.

Someone told me that Mormon's think God has a wife. Is this true?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2010, 05:38 PM

I do not know if that is true Mormon speaking but sometimes I wonder. Why does God only have to be considered the male figure.

They created us in their image. Some people would say it is talking about the Holy Trinity. The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost.

The thing is for almost most species that we know there is male and female, so maybe there is a connection to that theory or thought that God the Father would also have some sort of companion like God the Mother, and together they created everything.

Just like we come together male and female and create as well.
    Not many people would like that type of thought but it must be possible when you truly think about it.

Joe
    Experts

Apr 19, 2010, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fallen2grace View Post
    Just to throw another question out there.

Someone told me that Mormon's think God has a wife. Is this true?
    Some do, some don't.

The reasoning is rather simple, when you think about it. It takes a man and woman to make a child. So, it only makes sense to have a heavenly mother and a heavenly father.

She's rarely talked about, and isn't worshiped at all. It's just a personal belief held by some people. I don't think anyone's ever tried to elevate her to the level of goddess, or even thinks she needs to be. She more just something that must be there, so is there, and it's nice to think that she is.

Kind of like gravity. Few people ever really think about it. Before you learned about gravity in school, it just didn't matter. After you learned about gravity, it became something you expected to be there, but you rarely actually think about it existing. Almost like an afterthought.
    Experts

Apr 19, 2010, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper1976 View Post
    I do not know if that is true Mormon speaking but sometimes I wonder. Why does God only have to be considered the male figure.

They created us in their image. Some people would say it is talking about the Holy Trinity. The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost.

The thing is for almost most species that we know there is male and female, so maybe there is a connection to that theory or thought that God the Father would also have some sort of companion like God the Mother, and together they created everything.

Just like we come together male and female and create as well.
    Not many people would like that type of thought but it must be possible when you truly think about it.

Joe
    Judaism was actually one of the first religions, if not the first, to attribute the creation of life solely to a male deity.

Almost every other religion has a female creator. In greece it is hera. In egypt it is isis. For the celts it is the triple goddess (maiden, mother, and crone as three aspects of one being). For the norse it is frigga. Even the ancients made figures of what is popularly thought to be a creation goddess.

Given all that, is it really so odd to think that the christian god may have a wife?
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2010, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    judaism was actually one of the first religions, if not the first, to attribute the creation of life solely to a male deity.

almost every other religion has a female creator. in greece it is hera. in egypt it is isis. for the celts it is the triple goddess (maiden, mother, and crone as three aspects of one being). for the norse it is frigga. even the ancients made figures of what is popularly thought to be a creation goddess.

given all that, is it really so odd to think that the christian god may have a wife?
    While it is true that male pronouns and terms like "father" are used of the God of Christianity (and Judaism), there is nothing inherently male about God. Motherly attributes are often used to describe God (the mother hen in Psalm 91 is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but there are plenty more), but one of the chief features of the monotheism of Israel in contrast to the nations around them, is the fact that Israel's God didn't have human attributes, and hence couldn't be represented by figures like idols. Obviously, that's gotten lost at times over the centuries, but it's true nonetheless.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Apr 19, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    given all that, is it really so odd to think that the christian god may have a wife?
    Yes. To me it's odd. But then again, that's just me and what I believe.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 19, 2010, 08:30 PM
    there is nothing inherently male about God. Motherly attributes are often used to describe God
    Yes, I've always thought of God having both male and female attributes or characteristics -- e.g. hunter-killer protector as well maternal comforter.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2010, 09:54 PM

classyT
    I agree with you on reading information about other religions, But it should be like you said, Stand for something or you will fall for anything.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2010, 11:32 AM
    To quote a new friend of mine, good grief. Where exactly did I say that? I went to great lengths to avoid such ideas, yet somehow you managed to read it into my words anyway. I give up.

When I asked if you were suggesting Mormons are not Christian, I got the idea from this quote of yours on April 14, post #4:

"Whenever I go to read something like the BoM, or something from the JW's, or such material, I always try to pray over it first and ask the Lord to drive out any influences that might be hanging in or around it. Like the late Walter Martin, I tend to believe that Satan himself energizes such cults." (Emphasis mine)

By your "tending to believe that Satan himself energizes such cults", I think my question follows naturally. So I don't think I "read it into your words" - it's right out there in plain sight.
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2010, 09:48 PM

Athos,
    I can see how ypu came to that thought.
    That is particularly so when it is known that there are people who do not believe that Mormons are Christian.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 11:56 PM
    Athos,
    I can see how ypu came to that thought.
    That is particularly so when it is known that there are people who do not believe that Mormons are Christian.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Yes, arcura, and that is why I asked the question to dwashbur. Since he objected so strongly, I felt it necessary to quote his own words.

Dwashbur has yet to reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Good books to read [ 17 Answers ]

Hey! I've read twilght saga and they were so good but I can't thin of other books to read:confused: can you please recommend me to a good book like twilight saga ? THANKS

I need more books to read [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for authors that have the same style/plotlines as John Sandford with his "Prey" and Kidd" novels. I also like James Patterson with "Alex Cross". I do not like Jonathan Kellerman. I find him long winded and boring until the last 100 pages. Please let me know of titles and/or...

Read any good books lately? [ 29 Answers ]

I'm always looking for something new and interesting to read! Does anyone have any suggestions?

View more questions Search