Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FRED69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 07:49 AM
    Social security disability tax free income
    You have stated that Social Security Disability is not taxable as income. Is that from IRS Code section 104 (a)(1) or somewhere else?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2010, 10:24 PM

If you do not have any other income than SS benefits, then it is not taxable.
    A part of your social security benefits may be taxable if half of the SS benefits plus your other income exceeds the base amount. The base amount is $25,000 for single, head of household, married filing separately who did not live with the spouse in the year, and it is $32,000 for married filing jointly. For married filing separately who lived with the spouse any time in the year, the base amount is $0. Social Security Income and Disability Benefits Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Income Tax Topics 1

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IS disability income either from Social Security or Prudential taxable [ 11 Answers ]

Mu social secuirty disability is 2050 a month. I bought (through my former employer) long term diability insurance with after tax dollars (no employer contribution). The total between the two is approx 5400/mo. Is this income taxable and if so to what extent?

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

Can they garnish my social security disability check my only source of income ? [ 7 Answers ]

Court papers notifying me that I am being sued for payment of a credit card debt was found near my apartment. The writ of summons however was not placed in my hands nor was it sent through the mail. Was I legally notified because the papers were placed on the patio ground of my apartment and found...

Taxes on social security retirement v. Disability income [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to file for social security this year, the first time I am eligible to obtain social security without being penalized and to obtain my maximum amount at 65 years 10 months (born 1942). My disability carrier is having me file for disability under social security. If I am approved,...

Income tax responsibility for Social Security Disability [ 1 Answers ]

I was collecting Social Security Disability before I started back to work last year in Feb/07. When I started back to work I called the SS office and advised I was going back to work and they advised I would continue to collect my checks for 9 months. After the 9months I still can not get them...

View more questions Search