Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inquisitive26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 09:27 AM
    How long does it take for intersex surgery to be completed?
    Intersex is a medical condition when a person is born with both genitals and I believe the idenity is unknown.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 09:48 AM

First, there would have to be all sorts of tests (medical, psychological, etc.) done to determine the person's gender. Surgery would be the last stop on the road to wholeness.

Being Intersexual
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 12, 2010, 10:09 AM

If the process is anything like the one to become transexual, then there's at least a year of therapy required before the final surgery.

I do know one thing; they look at the funstionality of the organs when determining sex. If the penis is non-functional, or the vagina is more of a vestigial opening than a birth canal, then the choice becomes easier. It's VERY rare for both sets of organs to be fully functional.

Also, there's no chance of the genes being passed down to children. The same genes that cause harmaphidism (intersex) cause sterility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tubular breasts, surgery or no surgery? [ 28 Answers ]

Growing up I always hoped my weird looking breasts just hadn't fully developed but I'm now 21 and they're still the same. I didn't realise there was a medical name for my problem but recently I've been looking into surgery and was told I had tubular breasts. It's not so much the breast that I'm...

Cosmetic Surgery thesis statement on Risks and benefits of Cosmetic Surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I need a thesis statement on Cosmetic Surgery, I will be during my essay on Risks and benefits. What are your thoughts?

My mom is facing a long convalescence after surgery [ 3 Answers ]

My mom is having corneal transplant surgery in the next few months. She's having some trouble getting used to the idea of not being as independent as she normally is. The full recovery time for her surgery will likely be 1 year. 1 year with no driving. Several months without being able to read (her...

View more questions Search