Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PrttyBrownEyez21 Posts: 121, Reputation: 2

Apr 10, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Need topic idea
    For my english class I need to do a research paper using some of the books we've read. So far we've read Kokoro, The Mystic Masseur, Midaq Alley,One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich and The Trial. My teacher said the research can be about the culture from which the book emerges, or my focus can be related to a subject or theme treated in two or more novels. The only idea I could think of was cultural identity,and I think that is kind of a broad topic.Does anyone have any other ideas that relate to two or more books

Thank you
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 10:37 AM

Perhaps use a theme of how an individual rose above social disconnect and desolation to become "successful" or a better person or was able to reach a clearer understanding of his fate/life's purpose/role and what tools did he use to achieve that?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 12:12 PM

Quote Originally Posted by PrttyBrownEyez21
    I liked part of your first idea,but I need to be more specfic.
    Okay, let's chew around on that. Can you get more specific, and also do the same with another of the books listed?

Apr 10, 2010, 12:56 PM

When I actually write the paper, I plan on using more in depth examples,I was just showing you a quick example of what I thought would work. Is that what you meant? Maybe I could combine the social disconnect idea with the cultural identity?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrttyBrownEyez21 View Post
    Maybe I could combine the social disconnect idea with the cultural identity?
    How long does the paper have to be? Start with generalities of cultural identity, move into the problem of social disconnect, and then compare and contrast two of your characters from two different books?

Apr 10, 2010, 01:34 PM

The paper has to be 8 to 10 pages,double spaced.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrttyBrownEyez21 View Post
    The paper has to be 8 to 10 pages,double spaced.
    Choose two of the books -- and two characters? The Naipaul book sounds like it would be a good choice.

Do you need a bibliography?

Apr 10, 2010, 03:14 PM

Yeah we have to cite the books we use and any other outside sources

Apr 17, 2010, 03:46 PM

I finally got a good topic. I decided to do changing of women's roles. They seemed to be present in Mystic Masseur and Kokoro. Not really sure how though,can anyone elaborate on the subject. I know it was present in Mystic Masseur because of the way Leela acted and how she was regarded in Society. As for Kokoro, I guess it fits because Ojosan was running the house and then Okusan because she was the typical wife. Can anyone give any more examples?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good idea o bad idea [ 3 Answers ]

I am going down to near my ex girlfriend lives in a few weeks. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to tell her and see if she wants to hangout as friends or something. I haven't talked to her since we broke up in march, and things between us started so fast and then ended even quicker. Here...

Topic idea help [ 1 Answers ]

For my world literature class we have to write a critical reaction paper to the book Midaq Alley by Naguib Mahfouz. The only idea I can think if is how people in the book are driven by extrinsic motivation,but I think that's the more obvious topic everyone else is going to write about.any other...

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

View more questions Search