Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pavlei Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Ground wire charged
    In my house I measured about 3 Amps in ground wire from 100 Amp electrical panel.
    We are consuming about 1200 KWh monthly.
    Is that normal for 850 sq ft house and family of four?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 08:21 PM

Nope, doesn't seem right.

Your getting 3*120*24*30/1000 or about 259 kwh from that ground current.

You didn't mention the conditions and what type of stove, water heater or furnace you have, but the numbers don't seem right.

You didn't mention how measured (clamp on meter) and the accuracy and resolution.

At $0.12/kwh that's about $32 too much. I'd ask you neighbors/

Any voltage on ground isn't good. If you have copper pipes and a clamp on ammeter, put the meter around the copper pipe and see what you get.
    pavlei Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2010, 08:44 PM
    Thanks for the prompt response.
    Appliances are all few years old (all electric, except furnace) as well as new 100Amp panel.
    It was measured with borrowed Greenlee CM-800 600A AC Clamp Meter.
    Some copper pipes are 0.1 but one is 0.6.

Oh, no my neighbours are not paying even close what we're paying... :-(
    What should I do?

Please help!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 09:53 PM

If you used that meter http://www.mygreenlee.com/GreenleeDo...47536rev02.pdf

and measured the ground rod current,

the error bars on the 600 A scale, your looking at 1.9%(3) * + 0.7 so the error is about 0.75 A

So, 3A seems too high.

At this point, I would call the power company and ask them to check your service because you measured what you think are excessive currents within the meter accuracy on the water pipe into the house and the ground rod. Can you have someone come out and verify. I have additional measurements that I can give you now.

And go from there. At this point the copper pipes are within the error limits of zero. The one of interest is the pipe as it enters the house or basically before it's buried the first time (could be under slab).

Additional things you can do is see if there is any significant difference when you turn off all, one or some of the breakers including the main. If it's a single circuit or a few circuits, call an electrician.

Best suggestion I can come up with.

1. You used a CM-800 clamp meter on the x scale which has an accuracy of x%+yA.

2. You looked at the current on ground rod and it was ___+- y amps (compute error).

3. You looked at the current on the water pipe bond and it was __ +- (compute error again)

4. You looked at the current on the water main just as it entered the house at ____+- (compute error)

5. The line to ground voltages were ____ and ____ (expect 120)

6. The line to line voltage was (expect 240)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2010, 04:04 AM
    Having 3 amps on a grounding electrode conductor is not a serious condition, thou should not be there.

Current flowing on this conductor will not affect your electric bill. Your bill is due to your electric usage.

Kiss offered good advice, to shut off your Main Breaker and take a measurement to confirm if the current is coming from your system, as the current may or may not be coming from your system.

Grounding Electrode Conductors

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use a ground wire for a ground and live black or hot wire at the same time? [ 8 Answers ]

I only have 3 wires from my ceiling to connect to my fan/light, the black, white and bare ground. No problems setting up in this room to only one switch but I would like to have the duel fan/light switch in like in my other rooms without having to pull a wire from the ceiling down to the switch,...

Correct method to RUN copper ground wire to ground a 200 amp electrical circuit box? [ 0 Answers ]

Is a 3-wire copper ground or a solid copper wire required to ground a 200 amp electrical box? Is this wireing correct: A 3-wire copper ground wire in a conduit run from the electrical panel to the copper rod in the ground then to the cold water; AND THEN IN THE GARAGE the naked 3-wire...

How do you wire a single switch (1 black 1 white 1 ground) to a 5 wire hunter remote? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing ceiling fan operated off a single switch (1-black, 1-white, and ground). I am trying to install a hunter ceiling fan remote (model 27157) with 5 wires (1-black/white, 1-red, 1 black, and 2-white commons). I have tried several combinations of wiring, including the recommended...

Nec-covering of ground wire from the ground rod to the water pipecables [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new service meter panel and ground rod. The ground rod is connected to the meter panel via a #4 copper wire to a water pipe located 10 feet away. Is is allowable to bury the #4 wire between the ground rod and water pipe to keep it from being a trip hazard and protect the wire? ...

How do I wire a switch with pilot light with 1 black, 1 white, and 1 ground wire? [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced an outdoor outlet controlled by an interior switch with a Cooper gfci outlet and it tested fine. Then I replaced the existing switch with a Cooper switch with pilot light. The switch has one line coming into it with one white(hot), one black(neutral), and one ground. When I connect...

View more questions Search