Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noemistuart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2010, 06:09 PM
    Is it legal for a county office bill legally take $90.00 from 11 years ago?
    Today I received a letter from the SC Dept of Revenue stating that Chester Metropolitan District in Chester SC pulled $92.25 of my 2009 tax return for outstanding debt. I have never been billed for anything from this company since I moved and asked that it be disconnected when I moved out. I lived in Chester county for only 6 months prior to purchasing a house in Lancaster County, SC 11/4/99. That was 11 years ago. I have resided at the new address and filed taxes as usual every year for the last 11 years and have never heard of this debt. I called them and they looked it up. They claim I owed it from 11/09, the month I disconnected the service. In order to "discuss" it I would have to drive an hour to that county. Is what they have done legal? Do I have any recourse?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 9, 2010, 06:38 PM

It doesn't sound legal because most debt must be collected or acted upon within 10 years. And if it wasn't reaffirmed within the 10 year limit then it should have passed. You may want to take them to small claims court and get your money back through the courts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My first love x 20 years ago- broke my heart - tortured dreams - called me 1 week ago [ 18 Answers ]

Ok, really confused here and I am not sure why it even effects me still so badly (annoyed with that fact actually) To understand I have to tell a little story: 1. I was a kid in high school, from a small town with a crappy childhood and I fell hard for a guy that absolutely broke my heart...

Is oral rental agreement legally binding with rent reciepts in blount county, TN [ 8 Answers ]

I live in blount county in Tennessee. I have an oral rental agreement with the landlord. She got mad and told us that since there is no written agreement we are considered as tresspassing and she can throw us out at any time. I found one law site that said oral contracts was legal as long as the...

Options to get a County Attorney Office to prosecute. [ 23 Answers ]

I'll apologize right now for the length of this post. If you don't have much time, you may want to move on to a shorter subject as this one requires some detail in my effort to find any possible suggestions or solutions to this issue. I will thank anyone in advance for taking the time to try to...

Bill for emergency ambulance services 5 years ago! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. On May 23, 2003 I was alone in my car, going straight, driving home form work and was hit by a another driver attempting to make a left turn at an intersection in Brooklyn, NY. At the time I had full coverage on my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The jeep was totaled, and I subsequently had to...

Phone bill 9 years ago [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Madam/Sir, I once lived in Pennsylvania for several months nine year ago and left USA. I came back to USA five years ago and have been lived in New Jersey since. Last week I received a debt collection letter from a collection company to acclaim that I owed the phone company three hundred...

View more questions Search