Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danna1220 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2010, 03:11 AM
    Can a judge make you pay the full amount if you are not able to?
    I owe money from a friend and they took me to court because they want me to pay the full amount. Would the judge order me to pay the full amount even if I am not able to?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 04:58 AM

The judge will issue a order that you legally owe the money, ( called a judgement) it is a order to pay the money.

This will give the other person the right to attach ( take ) any money in your bank accounts, take a portion of your pay check, normally up to 25 percent. And even allow them to put a lien on your home. In some areas they may even be allowed to take and sell some of your personal property. What they can or can't do is often by state law, and varies.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2010, 05:26 AM

Hello d:

The judge doesn't MAKE you pay anything, and he doesn't care if you can afford it. It's the sheriff who MAKES you pay, because he's the guy with a gun strapped on, who's going to come to your house to collect your stuff. He's also the one who's going to seize your bank accounts and garnish your wages.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the lowest amount to make to not pay taxes ? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the lowest amount to earn and not pay taxes ?

Can I get the full amount of the money I sue for if he doesn't pay in time? [ 4 Answers ]

My ex stole everything from me when we lived together. He also stole all my receipts that I kept in a glass jar. So I sued him for $3000 and won. But the judgment was only for $1600. Someone told me that if he doesn't pay the full amount or try to make payments within 14 days of judgment, I can...

Quit my job in Iowa but still have to pay full amount of child support? [ 13 Answers ]

I quit my job to go back to school, I live off students loans and my national guard drill pay. I know I will have to keep paying some child support but I didn't know that if I quit my job the Child Support Recovery Unit automaticaly keeps my income level the same. She got her chance to go to...

Will a judge make me pay an old credit card debt? [ 7 Answers ]

I had a credit card between 8 and 10 years ago. The credit limit was $1000.00 dollars. I probably maxed it. Now I get a bill for $3500.00 dollars and I am headed to court this month. My financial situation has changed in the last 8 years and I cannot afford to pay more than $25.00 dollars a...

View more questions Search