Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jubjub2010 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2010, 08:22 AM
    Can somebody other than the owner collect the rent?
    My husband and I are renting a house. The owners and lessors are 3 women (the mother and the 2 daughters). The checks have to be sent to the father. Is it legal?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 09:04 AM

It can be so long as the father is acting as "agent" for the owners. If your uncomfortable with it then ask for something in writing. Also who are you making the checks out to or if he is making the collection at the door are you getting a receipt?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jubjub2010 View Post
    My husband and I are renting a house. The owners and lessors are 3 women (the mother and the 2 daughters). The checks have to be sent to the father. Is it legal?
    The owners can direct that you pay your rent to anybody. As long as that's what they ask, and they put it in writing, it's not your concern.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 05:36 PM

I have a real estate agent collect all of the rent on my houses,

When I had apartments I had a manager that collected the rent.

Anyone can be appointed the agent to collect rent. I would be sure to have it in writing where the rent is to be sent

Apr 4, 2010, 08:58 AM

Thank you for your assistance. I have this request in writing, so I guess I do not have to worry.

Apr 4, 2010, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    The owners can direct that you pay your rent to anybody. As long as that's what they ask, and they put it in writing, it's not your concern.
    I am very pleased with this answer.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an owner of a company collect per diem [ 1 Answers ]

As a business owner, I travel away from home for a couple of days at a time on a regular basis. Am I allowed to collect the per Diem listed in pub 1542 for my overnight travel, or can I collect only if I have travel expenses backed up by receipts?

Trying to collect rent from ex-boyfriend who moved out 2 months ago [ 5 Answers ]

I signed a 1year lease for an apartment last October with my then boyfriend. We broke up in March and he first agreed to still help me pay the rent after he moved out since I had been paying most things for the previous months and we both signed the lease together, basically he offered to pay half...

Collect unpaid rent and vandalize the place [ 6 Answers ]

I have a rental unit which is in California. I provide trash, water and sewer. The tenant is not pay the rent since Sept, so I start the process to evict her. Within the time of the process she still stay in the unit. Now, I received my water bill which is 1450.00. She is out of my unit. I would...

Co-Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent in Months - Need to collect money and evict [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... I reside in Virginia. My roommate (co-tenant) has not paid their half of the rent/utilities for months now due to personal situations, but the matter seems like it is not going to resolve. How do I go about evicting my roommate and collecting the rent money owed to me? I have...

Can my landlord collect double rent [ 3 Answers ]

My lease expires the end of this month, but we are leaving the 13th. Are we entitled to some of that rent back if they rent it before the end of the month? Also, how many days notice do you have to give to vacate in So carolina if your lease is up anyhow?

View more questions Search