Ask
    MileyRox0177 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 03:31 PM
    Can you tell me exactly what happens when you get your wisdom teeh removed
    I think I'll have to and I'm really scared so please share your stories
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 2, 2010, 03:38 PM

Lets say wisdom teeth are random teeth that you don't need in your mouth because they are crowding out your good, lovely teeth that you need for a tremendous smile ! Think of it that way and you will be glad to get rid of them.

No big deal, good dentist, freezing and just suck it up, MileyRox.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2010, 05:47 PM

No, a couple shots, and a few pulls and it is over.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2010, 06:34 PM
    If you have to have your wisdom teeth removed there are a few options for you.

If you are really apprehensive you can have them removed under general anesthetic (while asleep). You won't remember anything that went on during the procedure.

The next level would be conscious sedation. You are given medication to make you relax but you can respond to questions asked. You still won't remember much of what goes on.

Then there is always the good old laughing gas (nitrous oxide), again this just makes you a little more relaxed.

Finally there is just the regular local anesthetic (freezing). You will feel a little pressure like someone pressing on the area and hear some weird noises and you can carry on a normal conversation throughout the procedure.

If your teeth are already in your mouth they will be easier to remove than if they are still buried under the gums or bone. Sometimes the tooth has to be cut in half to make it easier to remove. The upper wisdom teeth are generally easier to come out especially if they are already in your mouth.

Your dentist will have (SHOULD have) taken x-rays to check the position of the teeth and the shape of the roots. Sometimes roots have little curls at the tips which can be more challenging for the dentist to remove.

When you have your wisdom teeth out there is always a risk of parasthesia (numbness of the lower lip). This numbness can last for up to 6 months but generally does go away.

Once the teeth are removed be sure you follow the post operative instructions to a T. Taking some Ibuprofen before your surgery and then again every 6 hours after will help reduce the swelling. You will also want to apply ice packs right after.

People have wisdom teeth removed all the time. You usually only ever hear the horror stories. Not many people say "I had my wisdom teeth out and it was a breeze." Everyone heals at different rates.

Let your dentist know that you are scared.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wisdom Teeth recently removed - questions [ 7 Answers ]

One week ago I had three wisdom teeth removed (I apparently didn't grow a fourth one). Two lowers, one upper. One lower was partially impacted, both lowers were partially erupted (I think that's the term for partially exposed). The upper was fully exposed and not impacted. For reference I'm 47...

Wisdom teeth removed [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I had 2 wisdom teeth removed today (10am) 1 of them was impacted and I have a sticth there now! I was wanting to know if it was normal for it to still be bleeding? Its very very painful and swollen I have taken 2 codine and that seems to of help the pain and also there is a funny taste and odour...

This is wisdom [ 3 Answers ]

This is wisdom Some say that tradition is like the party game where a message is whispered from one person to another and at the end of the line, the message bares scant resemblance to the original. They then turn around and ascribe that to the Catholic Church claiming that the Church teaches...

Husband getting wisdom teeth removed.thing I should get while he recovers? [ 12 Answers ]

My husband is 26 and will be getting all 4 of his wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow. I had all 4 of mine extracted when I was about 16... so that was 9 years ago and I can't remember too much about it. I know they say recovery is worse the older you are (as far as this goes). I am going out...

I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. [ 6 Answers ]

K I just got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed 5 days ago and I'm still in pain and I'm still swollen. 1 of my stitches fell out today and I'm wondering if that's normal. I'm like totally freaking out. Am I allowed to smoke? I have been and I'm very worried if I'm going to get an infection. Can...

View more questions Search