Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gerot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 05:47 AM
    Pain in gum behind teeth (wisdom teethe extracted 30 yrs ago)
    For the past two weeks I had what I thought was an extremely sore throat. I now realize it is not my throat at all, it is my lower gum/jaw behind where my wisdom tooth used to be (extracted >15 yrs ago). If I press on the area it is extremely painful but there are no sores. It is also painful on that side to stick out my tongue. Ibuprofen does take the pain away. I am unable to see my dentist until Tues. because of the holiday. Do you have any idea what this could be?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 2, 2010, 06:10 AM

Could be a secondary infection, even after this long time. Be careful, the fact that you can feel the pain down into your throat is not a good sign. I was going to suggest an anti-inflammatory, but you are doing that, and is not helping, another bad sign. I would go to a walk in clinic and not wait, what, five days to see your dentist. Mouth/teeth infections are far reaching and can effect heart function if it gets that far.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Raw gum behind wisdom tooth. [ 2 Answers ]

I was brushing my teeth last night and notices that there was some blood when I spit, I rinsed well and listerined. I also use a water pik. This morning when I was brushing My gum behind my wisdom tooth was real sore, raw feeling. Could this be the beginning of an absess or should I worry about it.

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

Wisdom Teeth pain [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here, but I wanted to ask some questions about wisdom teeth. I have my upper right wisdom tooth, I can feel the others trying to come in. I am waiting on my insurance to kick in so I can have them removed. What is best for pain until I can get this done? :confused:

Wisdom tooth only halfway extracted by dentist... is this normal? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had three wisdom teeth pulled. They came through the gum like molars, so I was told they were able to be pulled. I had x-rays, etc. before the procedure. My top two came out fine. My dentist told me that part of the root was still in my jaw, but would be OK. She then tried to pull out my...

Wisdom teeth [ 3 Answers ]

:-[ Help me, I am 17 and I think I am dying. My mom says that I am getting my wisdom teeth in. My left side of my mouth is slightly swollen and very sensitive. There is a part of my cheek or gums (or something) that is irritated and swollen OVER my back molars. Am I really getting my wisdom...

View more questions Search