Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlbeard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 02:22 PM
    Will a foreclosure on a second residence affect the primary residence
    I was building a house in North Carolina about three years ago. All of the work stopped because the bank gave all of the money to the builder without checking on the work. They ran out of money and the house was never finished. I waited two years to see what would happen. The bank's lawyer finally sent me a foreclosure notice for a hearing. I do not have the money to pay a lawyer to fight it. Will they be able to take my primary residence away from me in South Carolina if I did not put it up as collateral?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 06:50 AM

Generally speaking, they cannot "take" your other home... BUT if they get a judgment against you for the one that is being foreclosed on, they can then file a lien against your other home... which you would have to pay if and when you refinance or sell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure of primary residence [ 3 Answers ]

I am in foreclosure in my priary residence in Naples Florida. I have a second home in virginia that we have rented out,and mortgage is in goodstanding. Is there a chance they can take this home away from us?

Protection of primary residence in foreclosure of second home [ 3 Answers ]

If I move out of state and my second home becomes primary and I must short sale or foreclose on the home I am leaving due to structural damage and unable to keep rented am I protected in my new primary home?

401k withdrawal for primary residence [ 9 Answers ]

I borrowed money from my 401k to purchase my primary residence (88,000.00 to be exact) Now I got a letter stating that I owe the IRS 28,000.00 in taxes. I asked the 401k advisor at my job, before borrowing, if I would be taxed. He said no. He said because I was using money to purchase primary...

Primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

About a year ago, I purchased a home in Missouri after the bank foreclosed on my mother's home. She lives with me now at the new house. I have recently decided to move and possibly get married. I would like my mother to be able to continue living at the house if possible. I don't believe that...

View more questions Search