Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WyandotteLodge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 07:17 AM
    My Rheem 40 gal LPG water heater has sat for two years. The pilot won't stay lit?
    Installed in 2002, this unit was been drained and sitting the last two years. I have filled and tried to light the standing LPG pilot, but it won't stay lit upon release of the valve know push.
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Mar 31, 2010, 07:43 AM

How long are you holding the button down? After you get the pilot lit, continue to hold down for at least 30 seconds to allow the thermocouple to heat up.
    If that doesn't work you will want to try cleaning in and around the combustion chamber with a shop vac. Is your heater a FVIR model(sealed combustion chamber)? If so, I would recommend you call a Licensed Plumber for this. He or she should remove the access plate from the front of the combustion chamber, unhook the burner assembly and remove from the heater. Use a shop vac to vacuum out the chamber and then use a compressor (or some shop vacs can also blow air) to blow air through the air intake in the combustion chamber back out to clear any debris from the air intakes. Vacuum around the heater and then reinstall all parts and try lighting again. FVIR models need all the air they can get and a build up of debris can limit them enough to not allow the burner to function.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater pilot light will not stay lit [ 43 Answers ]

The pilot light on my gas water heater will not stay lit. I can light the pilot light, but when I release the valve, it goes out.

Water heater pilot won't stay lit.. [ 4 Answers ]

Unit was new about 14 months ago, worked fine till recently. Whirlpool BFG1F404053NOV0751118163 Valve: Robert Shaw 64-LF8-376R110 RATSP1 Initially I was able to light the pilot again, and fire the heater and it would work, I believe up to temp, then hours later I'd notice the water going...

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 5 Answers ]

My water heater pilot won't stay lit. Sometimes it stays lit and will work for a few hours and then goes out again. It's been doing this daily for about 2wks. The water heater is not old. What can be the problem?

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

The pilot light on my water heater went out yesterday and I was able to get it going and had hot water for most of the day. But it went out again last night, and I was able to get the pilot light to relight when pressing the button but when let up on immediately goes out. I tried replacing the...

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, last Friday BGE (Baltimore Gas and Electric) turned off the gas supply to a couple row houses on my block. They said water had gotten in the gas line and they were in the process of clearing it out. On Tuesday, when I was able to get my heat back (electric ignitor), the service guy tried to...

View more questions Search