Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    delaineking Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 06:41 AM
    Why am I going through so much oil? No leaks, not burning it but 2 GALLONS in 120mil
    Where could 2 GALLONS of oil in 120 miles be going in my 7.3L stroker if it has no leaks and is not burning it? No extra smoke, exhaust pipe is clean. Could it be leaking into the fuel through the injector o-rings?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 07:57 AM

Your oil definitely is going out your tailpipe somehow. Have this leak attended to before you end up running your engine completely dry of oil and having it seize up and be a useless hunk of metal. This could be anything leaking from anywhere but whatever the cause of this leak it's serious and needs professional attention NOW.
    delaineking Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 08:23 AM

The pick-up is parked. There are NO LEAKS, THERE IS NO SMOKE THE EXHAUST PIPE IS CLEAN. There does appear to be oil residue in my fuel filter.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 05:08 PM

Did you mean 2 quarts or two gallons? Big difference. That means 8 quarts to go 120 miles. Even if it is 2 quarts that's only 60 miles per quart.

It must be leaking somewhere for you to use that much oil. I freak out if my Jeep uses 1 quart every 1,000 miles.

Please have it professionally diagnosed and fixed. It will make me feel better so I don't have nightmares about your poor vehicle. OK?
    Carl17 Posts: 66, Reputation: 9

Mar 31, 2010, 05:46 PM

Twinkie is exactly right, you don't seem to want to accept it, but you NEED to have your car looked at.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 07:07 PM

It iis leaking, ( unless the smoke looks like a wood burner) perhaps the lead is where you can't see it.

But that is a quart to about 12 miles so you can't even go for a drive without adding oil every 30 min or so.

It does not just vanish in a black hole, sorry I know you don't think it is, but it just has to be

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is wrong when myF250 deisel when it leaks oil on the right side of the oil pan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Ford F250 deisel and it is leaking oil underneath by the oil pan on the drivers side of the pan. When it is turned off it leaks,but when it is running it spirts it out. Is there a hose in that area, or is it major?

Burning Oil (I Think) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a '95 Saturn 1.8L with 120k miles. It runs great and my wife uses it to transport the dogs, so it's a perfect "old" car for that. It is using about 1qt of 10W-30 oil every 1k miles (maybe even using a bit more by now). No smoke and no leaks. Nothing strange getting in cooling system. ...

Burning oil [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2002 nissan altima that burns oil the light just came on a few days ago... When I turned my engine two days ago I noticed smoke coming out of the muffler... I read here that it could be the head gasket or other things... to be more specific when I check my oil it goes low and black...

Oil burning furnaces [ 2 Answers ]

When I turn on the oil burner there is a STRONG gas oder and I want to know if this is normal or harmful. I have not been feeling well and no one seems to know the answer. I have had people come to check it out and the jerks charge me and give me no real answers. Please help if you can.

My Oil burning boiler deloped an oil drip. [ 1 Answers ]

My oil burning boiler developed a drip. I recently had my boiler inspected for rust on the exterior. A sticker on the unit housing was charred and the burning area seemed rusty. I had gone a year saving money by allowing the unit to run only when I needed a shower or wash something in warm. I saved...

View more questions Search