Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 12:02 AM
    Are IBM Compatible Computer Power Supplies Interchangeable?
    Hi, All!

The title is my first question. Are they interchangeable? I've got a couple of computers that won't start, and I suspect that it's the power supplies that are the problem.

I also have a couple other computers, where I could take the power supplies out of them and try them in the computers that won't start.

Or, might it be the power buttons that are the problems? I've had computers for many years now, and have had a power supply problem in the past, but never a power button problem.

Thanks!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Are they interchangeable?
    Mostly yes, however there have been vendors (Dell, for instance) that have done proprietary things with their power supply wiring over the years.

I suspect that it's the power supplies that are the problem.
    An ATX power supply tester (something like Coolmax 24PIN Power Supply Tester) is handy for checking supplies without the hassle of physically swapping the supplies. If you shop for a tester, be aware that ATX supplies can have either a 20 pin or 24 pin connector. Further, most of these testers use a power resistor to supply a load and if the tester is left plugged in to a supply for an extended period unattended, bad things may happen due to heat buildup. :rolleyes:

Or, might it be the power buttons that are the problems?
    I think the odds are low.

The power button for AT style power supplies (early-mid 90s) is an on-off switch wired into the power supply. They were heavy-duty. I've encountered and replaced only one bad AT switch in the last twenty years.

Newer (mid 90s-present) ATX style power supplies and their variants use a momentary switch connected to the motherboard which controls the power supply. I've replaced more of these mainly because the quality of components has declined over the years, but still only a handful. These switches can be tested easily by removing their wiring jumper block from the motherboard and checking with a continuity or resistance meter.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 03:47 PM
    Thank you for the very helpful information, Scleros! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am going to build my first computer are these parts compatible? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone Iam going to build my first computer can anybody tell me if all these parts are compatible?And anything missing? I have a hard drive and video card. Here are they... Newegg.com - Intel BOXDP45SG LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX DDR3 Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards Newegg.com -...

Power to computer [ 14 Answers ]

This is either a computer or home electric problem. This may be long... First I built a new computer from scratch. The first time trying to boot it up I received no signal to my monitor. All computer components seemed to get power (i.e. fans running). After a lot of searching on the...

Power to computer? [ 2 Answers ]

This is either a computer or home electric problem. This may be long... First I built a new computer from scratch. The first time trying to boot it up I received no signal to my monitor. All computer components seemed to get power (i.e. fans running). After a lot of searching on the internet...

Power Supplies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm going to be traveling in the caribean, I'd like to take my laptop and camcorder... does anyone know if I need to purchase a separate power regulator, or do the power supplies attached to most electronics take care of any powe surge or lack thereof Thank

View more questions Search