Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Monster77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 09:56 AM
    How long does it take for someone with a Theft by Deception charge to be convicted?
    A family member of mine was recently charged with theft by deception, third degree, in NJ. This is their second theft by deception offensive in NJ, but third over-all offense. I want to know how long the whole process may take until they go back to prision. This will be in front of a county grand jury if they are indicted.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 02:43 PM

Is your family member going into this without an Attorney?

Mar 27, 2010, 02:51 PM

No, I believe they have an attorney. Will having an attorney make the process longer? I would assume so...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 03:01 PM

Hello M:

It depends on lots of different things. If he pleads guilty, it could take as little as a few weeks. Or, if he fights the case, it could take months.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 03:53 PM

Agree with excon, it could be a few weeks if they take a plea agreement or it can even take a year or more if court dates are crowded or if there are a lot of other motions happening,

And even months if the State has to wait on evidence from the crime lab.

Mar 27, 2010, 07:08 PM

Thank you both for your in put. I believe they are pleaing not guilty, so it seems that it will be a couple of months... Thanks again!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 07:21 PM

At least, here in GA I had one young man have to wait for 18 months to get to trial on drug charges.
    rainacidbeer Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Mar 30, 2010, 04:37 AM

There a chance,it's not definite that they would go back to jail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

16 year old charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery what will [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery for finding a debit card and buying 3 items in Bridgewater Commons Mall New Jersey that I believe came up to $300 I used credit and had to sigh the receipt I didn't use my name but the name on the card. I was brought to the police...

How long until I can no longer be convicted of theft under 5000? [ 1 Answers ]

If I were charged for theft under 5000 on Nov 12, 2008; how long do I have until I can no longer be convicted? When caught I was told that I may or may not receive a letter in the mail with a court date. If I did not receive a letter it simply meant that the police were not going to convict me...

Theft by Deception - Is this a case? [ 4 Answers ]

We were approached by friends about loaning them money for closing costs on a house they were buying. I have the e-mail to prove that was the plan for the money. The friend and his wife actually took us to a house being built and said it was theirs. They called us after settlement to thank us...

Theft by deception [ 3 Answers ]

I used to work for a office and money was very tight.. the bottom line is that I stole about $2000. But my boss added all these fees and the final amount is $3274.00 I tried to explain to the judge on my hearing that I didn't take all that money that they were accusing me for. But she didn't...

View more questions Search