Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Mar 26, 2010, 09:49 PM
    Is this good legal advice?
    My mom and I are being evicted due to not being able to afford the rent. My mom is to appear in court on Monday a piece of paper taped to the door said. A lawyer friend told her not to show up because right now she isn't required to pay back the money because she has not been served directly. If she appears in court, then can serve her there as she is walking in. Is this correct legal advice?

Ethically, I am against my mom's attempt to not pay back the rent. However, the landlord is rude and never fixed the heat and there was no air conditioning. (We had to use the stove to heat the house in the winter). So I don't feel to bad. So ethics aside, is this correct legal advice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 27, 2010, 04:40 AM

It is never good advice to ignore a summons. A lot depends on what this "piece of paper" is. The proper procedure for an eviction due to non-payment goes like this:

A written notice is delivered by the landlord given the tenant 3-10 days (depending on locality) to pay in full or vacate. If the tenant does not vacate within the time frame, the landlord then goes to court for an eviction order. A hearing is scheduled and a summons is issued and served notifying the tenant of the hearing. At the hearing the judge will listen to any reason why rent was not paid, other then lack of money. If the reason isn't valid he will issue an eviction order. The tenant will have a short period to vacate, if they still haven't vacated by then, the landlord hires a sheriff to physically remove them and their belongings.

If this notice taped to the door was not preceded by a pay or quit notice, then I doubt if it's a valid summons. But its too important to ignore, so your mother should check with the court Monday morning to see if there really is a hearing scheduled. If there is, she should show up, otherwise the landlord will get an eviction order by default.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 04:55 AM
    Was the attorney one who specializes in landlord/tenant law in that state?

A notice to pay or quit is not required everywhere. NJ no longer requires it. If a tenant has not paid the rent then the landlord can immediately file a lawsuit for eviction. And posting the notice on the door may be considered proper notice in some locations. So I would definitely appear in court that day.

If your mother does not go to court, and if the lawyer friend is right and there wasn't proper service then she is just delaying the inevitable. If the lawyer friend is wrong and there was proper service then she may find her belongings being put out at the curb a few weeks later.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE View Post
    If she appears in court, then can serve her there as she is walking in. Is this correct legal advice?
    If you are asking whether this is correct advice, yes it is. If the court finds that the service is insufficient, she can be re-served then, a new hearing will be scheduled, and she will be evicted then.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 06:39 PM

1. if she merely does not show up, the landlord will win automatically and she will be ordered to pay everything he asks for,

To get out of it, she will have to file an appeal within a time frame.

2. At least here taping the notice to your door for eviction paper work if a legal method of service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need some legal advice! PLEASE READ [ 6 Answers ]

My husband was in a car accident with a 70 year old woman who was driving her son's vehicle on a expired license (which she apparently had a 60 day extension, but we don't know..? And then later we find out her insurance policy was not even 24 hours old!. ). When the police officer did the accident...

Advice about legal emancipation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Donald . I am a 15 year old in a bad situation. I recently moved from ONT which was a small town with about 2500 people. I am now living near Manitoba on a farm. Im trying to get into a school system because there is so few people here. Im not very good at meeting people so my...

Need legal advice about lease [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. I've already started a post earlier but this is a different question. I'm trying to get out of a lease and after carefully reading my agreement I have noticed that she had put the wrong dates on my copy of the agreement. It states that the lease begins on 09/01/2006 and ends on 06/30/2006. It...

Free Legal Advice [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere I can get free advice concerning child support. I'm in Pinellas county, Fla but payment is made to State of TN.

View more questions Search