Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yyaassoo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 04:18 PM
    Can I encase 2" ABS pipe with concrete in slab
    Hello , Im going to back fill a trench in slab . Should I pour in some concrete in the bottom of the trench here and there to hold up the pipe before backfilling trench with dirt ? Also can I encase part of the abs in concrete if I wrap the pipe first ? Thanks Spanky
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 04:23 PM

Hi Spanky:

I would recommend that you take some wood and temporarily hold up the pipe until you can compact some dirt in and under the pipe. After most of the dirt is compacted and pipe is well supported you can pull the wood supports and compact in more dirt to fill the voids. If you use concrete to do this and then leave the concrete it would almost be like leaving rocks directly under the pipes... certain to crack/break the pipe over time.

In terms of encasing the ABS pipe in concrete, it is not a common practice to have plastic pipe in concrete as it expands and contracts at such a different rate than concrete that it usually leads to cracks in the concrete, but if you encase it in a strong wrap of insulation, for example, you may be able to pull it off just fine... maybe?

What is this ABS pipe connected to? Let me know...

Mark
    yyaassoo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 08:47 AM

Hello , Its hooked up to a shower and a floor drain.. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect 1 9/16" Copper Pipe to 1.5 " ABS [ 3 Answers ]

I need to connect drainage from kitchen sink in an older home which is now copper pipe (1 9/16" outside diameter) to 1½" ABS. Connections under sink and vent pipe are all this copper pipe but where it goes through the floor into the basement it goes into an iron connection on the basement floor...

Bathtub drain pipe leaking under concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a leak under my bathtub. At first thought it was the drain, replaced it and saw that the water was actually coming up from under the dirt under the slab. Is it possilbe to repair this myself? Also, can I run the drain pipe over head?

Breaking out concrete to get to pipe under slab [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to break out a 4" concrete slab so I reroute my shower drain? Doug

Installing Waste Pipe in a Concrete Slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am extending my shed and adding an outside Bathroom, with a toilet, shower and basin. The flooe will be poured concrete. My questions are 1. Do I need to cover the Pipe before I pour the concrete 2. What drop / sloop needs to be in the waste pipe 3. How far should the waste pipes be below the...

Connecting 1 1/2" ABS to 1 1/4" pipe [ 4 Answers ]

Can I trust a flexible fitting to connect 1 1/2" ABS to existing 1 1/4" pipe, which is sold in the retail outlets for a closed wall bathroom drain? Do these flexible connectors with torque down clamps provide durable connections that will last without leaks?

View more questions Search