Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MissRissa Posts: 68, Reputation: 15

Mar 25, 2010, 10:16 PM
    Why do I compare myself to my ex's girlfriend
    Hello there,
    I've been broken up with my ex boyfriend now for about a year and a half and I'm currently dating someone new. The thing is that I haven't spoken to my ex or had anything to do with him since we broke up. One day, however I was thinking about him and got an urge to look at his myspace because for some reason I started wondering what he was doing with his life now. I was looking through his pictures and I saw some with him and his new girlfriend. She is very pretty. I started to feel a little insecure about myself and felt a little bit hurt. Now ever since then I can't look in a mirror without comparing myself to her. Don't get me wrong I am over my ex boyfriend and I don't have any plans on talking to him or anything but secretly I compare myself to his new girlfriend. Maybe it's because I'm insecure because he broke up with me for her and ever since then I feel like she's so much better than me. I don't know, but can somebody please help me? I feel like something is wrong with me and I feel like it's so sick because I have a boyfriend right now.
    Larken85 Posts: 696, Reputation: 146

Mar 25, 2010, 10:51 PM

People always wish that the girl the comes after them (or guy) is a total wash out loser, ulgy as heck, and just down right lower than you. However when we find out the reality of the situation (being that this is not at all the case) we start to question our own qualities. Even though you may not be interested in being with him ever again, it may strike you as offensive if the person he left you for (in your opinion) looks much better than you.
    I however believe that looks aren't everything and that everyone has huge flaws. A little underhanded I know but for your own good I suggest finding something negative about her that you do not have and try concentrating on the thought "at least I'm not____." or something of the sort.

Hope the advice helped a little bit. I don't think there is anything at all wrong with you, I just think you are a little jealous for some reason.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 03:17 AM

Don't check out his Myspace and stop comparing yourself to the ex's current gf-you are you and you have a new boyfriend,so don't let past failures ruin your happiness.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 07:04 AM

Don't let a bit of curiosity, make your own insecurity, turn to jealousy. That's a recipe that leads to low self esteem. Stop looking at his social page, and deal with the reality your in.
    sexynurse75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 08:55 PM
    I have the same feeling. I have no clue what my ex new girlfriend how she look or where she work or does she have any kids. Its weird that I'm comparing myself to her. I left my ex because I was not happy with him anymore. My ex was not a bad guy so I just think that I'm getting replace so fast. I know he needs to continue living his life. I guess I'm just a bit jealous. I brake down mostly on the weekend because we use to do a lot of stuff togerther and now I not motivated to do anything. I'm still single so I guess that the reason I'm having a hard time moving on and jealous of my ex that he moved on so fast. I guess I need to suck it up.
    I'm having a hard time expressing myself. But writing really help me to move on. One day at the time. Some days are good some days hard to move on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I've got a girlfriend but still dating my ex and still wants my ex's friend... [ 55 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend are doing well, our love is growing constantly everyday and I try by all means to make us happy and I don't want to loose her, trust me. Now the problem is, I enjoy sleeping with my ex when I am bored, Im dating my ex when my girlfriend is not around and she's (ex) got a...

Helping girlfriend move out of ex's parents [ 4 Answers ]

Well, things between my girlfriend and her current living situation have finally reached the boiling point to where she is moving out of that place and into my place. She does have 2 girls, the ex does NOT live in that house or anything. Well today her and I are going to get her stuff out of that...

Compare a [ 1 Answers ]

Compare and contrast thomas hobbes and john lockes theory of social contract of government?

Compare [ 4 Answers ]

Compare the vietnam war to the war in iraq.

View more questions Search