Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ddwtx1's Avatar
    ddwtx1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 20, 2010, 10:16 AM
    Social security reclamations
    My question concerns a reclamation made on my checking account. My mother was receiving her social security payment direct deposit to her checking account. Since we use the same bank, I always helped with her bill payments by transferring monies, etc. When her final check was deposited, she had been in the hospital for about 2-3 weeks. As she was unable to write checks and as her power of attorney, I transferred money from her account to mine in order to pay her rent, utilities, and additional bills directly online. She died 1 or 2 days before the end of the month (February 27, 2008) and now social security wants that months payment back because she was not alive for the full month! They have now put a hold on my checking account (March 19, 2010) two years after the fact to reclaim the amount. I have been unemployed for two months and all I receive is unemployment compensation, and now have not one penny available to me. HELP!! What can I do? Are they allowed to do this after TWO YEARS?? Thank you. Dee
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

    Mar 21, 2010, 08:59 AM

    It is my understanding that any retirement benefits checks are issued or deposited into the recipient's account AFTER the month that they were alive. For example. I lived the entire month of January. My January's check would be deposited in February - not paid in advance in January.

    You need to speak to someone in person at Social Security to see if that is the case. I know from first hand that they are doing this live the month and get paid the next month now. Your mother may have been on the old system where she got paid "in advance" instead of after the fact. So, if that is the case then yes, they can indeed take the funds back.
    ddwtx1's Avatar
    ddwtx1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 21, 2010, 11:39 AM

    This was the month she was alive and I paid all her bills with it.
    parttime's Avatar
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

    Mar 21, 2010, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    I found this question on the SS web site
    My mother, a widow, died in late April. Social Security tells me that I must return her April benefit (paid in May) even though she was alive most of the month. Why is this?

    Social Security benefits are not pro-rated. To be entitled to a Social Security benefit check for a given month, the person must be alive the entire month. No benefit is payable for the month of death.

    This provision has been in the law since 1939 and can be changed only by an amendment to the Social Security Act. The legislative history of this provision does not show why benefits are not payable for the month of death. However, the provision complements the provision of the law that allows us to pay survivors benefits for the entire month of death.

    You can return the check to your local Social Security office. If the payment is made by direct depost, the U.S. Treasury will automatically debit the bank account

    I found this question on the ss web site, may help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security disability,unemployment and social security [ 2 Answers ]

I got approved for ssdi but got disapproved for ssi because my unemployment can I later get ssi after my unemployment is finished?:(

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

Social Security [ 1 Answers ]

Do I pay income taxes on my Soc. Security payments on my paycheck as I make that money? :)

Social Security [ 4 Answers ]

My daughters boyfriend has not lived with his mother for about a year now, he is still in school and has stayed with his cousin. The school has his address as his cousins house, and his mother has signed gardianship papers stating she is his legal gardian. Today he told me that he collects social...

View more questions Search