Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmhaas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 04:02 PM
    Grounding an outlet screwed into a light scocket
    Is an outlet screwed into a grounded light socket grounded? I want to screw an outlet into an exterior light socket, then plug the Christmas lights into this outlet but I want the Christmas lights to be grounded. Is there a way to get around taking off the light fixture and installing a box with a ground fault outlet as well as a new box for the light fixture? Then there is the problem that the light fixture is on a switch. Thanks JM
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 07:43 PM
    No it is not grounded, need the third wire or prong for the ground. You may be able to use one of the two wire to three wire adapter, has a short green wire dangling from it, and connect this ground to a grounded part of the light fixture, if there is any. Many outdoor lights are plastic, and need to open the wiring box to gain access to a ground.

There may be outdoor fixtures with an tlet builtin, or you will need to use a weatherproof box to exttend the fixture out to gain a threaded hub to use a conduit nipple into the new outlet box and install a real GFI receptacle.

Having a switch control the light is OK, if you don't want to shut the xmas lights off at night , all you can do is leave the switch on.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Dec 1, 2006, 08:07 AM
    I'm asking to be educated, not quarrelsome.

I thought the idea was that the outdoor lights should be plugged into a GFCI protected outlet. So, if the outdoor light is GFCI protected, shouldn't he be okay. If not, doesn't he need to plug into such an outlet, say from the bathroom?

My outdoor lights are only two wire, but they are the 40 watt per string mini lights. Do higher power outdoor lights have a ground wire in the cord?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2006, 07:00 PM
    Yes your right but jmhaas does not say his light is GFI protected and asks how to install a GFI.

I don't think too many xmas light sets have the third ground wire, I try to stay away from them,the wife is not happy about it, but no way do I work with wire at home if I can help it.

The ground is not necessary because the entire set is made of plastic, and GFI protectors do not need a ground to trip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding an Outlet [ 22 Answers ]

I am moving into an older house that has only 2-prong outlets. Some are 3-prong, but they are not grounded (I have a power strip that tells you if it is gounded or not). I found this at Ace Hardware....

Outdoor light grounding [ 1 Answers ]

On this surface mounted porch light, there is a green wire (ground) and a thin stranded wire. Do I attach both of these to the circuit ground #14 wire and then pigtail from there to the green ground screw in the metal box?? Or do I attach the green #14 to the incoming and outgoing ground #14, and...

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

My ex might have really screwed me... [ 230 Answers ]

This is my first post here, and I am going through hell right now, I feel like I have no where to turn so I need some REAL advice PLEASE. I am 24 and my grlfriend (well X now) is just turned 21 TODAY. She went on a semseter at sea trip this summer for about 2 months and everything was great. I have...

View more questions Search