Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    djoshi's Avatar
    djoshi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 15, 2010, 12:40 PM
    I am in H1b status form 2009 Oct. and my my wife is F1 with opt status.
    I am in H1b status form 2009 Oct. and my my wife is F1 with opt status, currently working and both has W2. Can we file tax for 2009 jointly and what form should we refer for filing?
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Mar 16, 2010, 01:50 AM

    Yes, as a First Year Choice you can file joint return as residents. You must wait to file your tax return till you complete SPT in 2010.
    If you file joint return, your spouse must start paying FICA taxes from 2010. Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT - H1B status change Form 843 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! 1. I worked for my current employer under OPT from MAY 2007 to OCT 2007. On OCT1st my H1B was approved. I didn't get it stamped until JAN 2008. Because my status changed in OCT 2007 I filed my 2007 taxes as a Resident (1040). I read a response to a similar question by Atlanta Tax Expert and...

OPT to H1B in Oct 2008 Tax status [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I entered the US in 08/2005 on F1 visa. I started working on F1-CPT fulltime from 05/07 - 12/07 (7 months) and then worked on F1-OPT (after graduation) from 12/07 - 09/08 and then from 10/08 to current date on H1B work visa. I have so far been using 1040NR for my tax return. Please help me...

Opt-h1b status, can I use form 1040 nr [ 1 Answers ]

I started working on a h1b visa in nov of 2007, I was doing opt for 2 years prior to that up to oct of 2007 , I filed tax return last year Now I need to no which form to use to file Also my wife is here and my kid also , they have no social security or tax number Can I put them on as dependents?...

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

View more questions Search