Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randyshoe Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Nov 30, 2006, 10:28 AM
    Building a Deck on top of a cement patio
    I am planning on building a ground level deck over an existing concrete patio, and am not sure where to begin. I am wondering what the best foundation would be for the deck. I found an article that suggested using a wall frame type set-up but wasn't sure if there was another route I should take, and whether I should secure the wood to the concrete or let it "float" on top of the concrete.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 1, 2006, 08:34 PM
    The best foundation should be the patio itself. I don't see why you would need to dig for posts. The weight of the deck will be dispersed along the patio itself.

If you do that try to put pressure treated 2x4's flat on the slab and build off those. You can secure the 2x's to the slab with tapcon screws so they don't move around when your building on them. These will be run perpendicular to the main joists. Maybe install them every 4'. (dont know the deck dimensions)
    That way water won't get trapped along the joist under the deck and air can also flow under the deck to keep things dry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete Patio [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I just found this forum and I see some good answers to good questions. I am hoping someone can help me with my problem. I am looking to build a concrete patio and walkways. I have built my house using slab on grade with radiant heat. We compacted gravel, used vapor barrier, ...

Sloping Cement Patio [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 14 x16 foot 9" thick cement patio with tiles on it. I want to make it into a sunroom. Right now the floor is sloped away from the house and the difference from the house to the edge of the patio is at least 3 1/2 inches sloped downward for drainage. I looked into leveling compound but...

Laying patio stone on top of concrete [ 1 Answers ]

The previous owners to our house made a concrete foundation for their dog kennel in the yard. Now we have a 14 x 18 ft concrete area in our yard that looks very ugly. Is it possible to cover it with nice patio stone. Everywhere I read about patio stone it says that you first have to excavate and...

Building a tub deck and shower enclosure [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I am not sure if this s/b in this section or in plumbing, so I will post it in both. We are adding a whirlpool tub to our bathroom addition and it requires a tub deck. The exterior walls are all framed and insulated (Icynene). Should I rock the walls first and then build the...

View more questions Search