Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rgsmurfette1982 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2010, 09:08 PM
    What can I do about discrimenation in the public schools?
    My son got suspended a week before christmas break. The principal accused him of choking a middle school student and that he has evidence on video camera. My husband saw the video and it didn't show it. And the principal said he made a mistake.
    And now he suspended my son again for another three days on Tuesday march 9, 2010. My son went to the sadie.s dance on Saturday 13, 2010 and one of the chaparons told him that he was suspended for another week so he isn't suppose to be there at the dance without him or us knowing.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2010, 09:20 PM

Schools now have a zero tolerance policy. There is also a bullying policy and a cyber-bullying policy. You need to read the handbook your son received at the start of the school year. It's my understanding in our state, if a child has been suspended from school , then other school funtions are also forbidden, i.e. dances, ball games.

You can request a meeting with the superintendent of schools and request a hearing. The other childrem involved and the video's will and should be reviewed by the school board. Also the principle needs to contact all the parents whose children were involved and set up a meeting. You do not do that, the school will.

Do it legally and if your son is innocent then he will be allowed back at school. Don't expect something to happen overnight. Let them know you want the truth!
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2010, 10:44 PM

I wanted to add something which is very important. Always, always remain calm. If you raise your voice or start yelling and hurling accusations you will lose credibiltity and it puts the principle in a defensive mode.

Get all the imformation you can on student rights and present them to the staff. I do know what I'm talking about. I was a sub for many years and I found the parents who yelled and threatened just made the matter worse. Good Luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 04:30 AM

Why are they doing this,
    If it is because of his religion, his nationality, his skin color, perhaps even his sexual oreitation, that is illegal discrimination

If they are doing this because they just don't like him, it is not fair, but not discrimination that is illegal.

You make an appointment ( should have first day he was suspended second time) and see if it is valid.

For the dance, of course if he was suspended he does not get to go to a dnace, if he went against the rules, they may give him more punishment.
    Why did he go to a dance ( out like that) and you not know where he was?
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2010, 10:12 AM

I was wondering.. why was he suspended after being back to school after such a short time after the first incident? What grade is he in? There is a difference in discrimination and dislipine. As Fr.Chuck stated if he is being singled out because of race, sexual orientation etc. That is wrong.

Policies of expulsion from school are nearly always the same. That expulsion means ,all school funtions. Did something happen at the dance ? The person who told him he was suspended again, was this
    Person a teacher? You need to sit your child down and ask him to tell you about all these incidents.

Look, you're a parent , I'm a parent and we hurt when we feel our children are being treated unfairly. Kids sometimes neglect to tell us the whole story. Find out ! I hope you have success and please let us know what becomes of this.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I found out there are reg. Sexual offenders living close to public schools. [ 3 Answers ]

I found a website while visiting the america's most wanted website. It is, watchdog.com. On this website you can search for registered sexual offenders within your zip code, or city. Also, you can sign up for an email alert if any sexual offender moves to within 5 miles of your residence. My...

View more questions Search